Borla Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borla Rattle

I installed my Borla catback last week and I'm fairly happy with the results. However, I think the exhaust may have shifted over a couple of days of driving.

1. There was a one inch gap between the passenger side pipe (between the area to install the plates and the tip) and the spare tire compartment. Now there is no gap.
    2. It now rattles at idle after it gets warmed up.

I've read where some people have had a muffler shop weld everything together. I really don't want to use this option unless I know its really going to help (I like the ability to unclamp and remove the exhaust [img]smile.gif[/img] )

I have noticed that the rattle goes away when I put some pressure on the passenger-side rubber hanger. I haven't noticed any cracks in the hanger, but do you think it would help if I just got a hanger welded on?

What have others done to solve this problem?

... One last question, just to make sure I have my pipes angled in the right direction. How much ground clearance do you have on the long pipe that goes from the cat to the right before it goes up over the axle? It seems that my lowest point, there is only about 3-4 inches. Much less than the stock pipe. Is this normal?
    98 Camaro<br />Whisper air lid, K&N filter, SLP CAI, MSD coils, NGK plugs, Borla cat-back

I may be understanding wrong,...but are you saying its rattling where you put the plates? If thats the case then just tigthen the hell out of it. I used air tools and got it REALLY tight. It would be impossible to get it off with a ratchet or anything...and I never had problems with rattling.
    As for clearance...I have about 6 inches all the way back. It is only lower because the pipe is a little bigger...it doesnt really hang lower.
    Check to make sure at all the connections that they are slid in all the way and tightened REALLY tight.
    And I would NOT weld what you are talking about. I like changing my plates out now and then...just for the hell of it. But if you really don't want to change it ever then weld it.
    Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

To clarify, the rattle is not coming from the plate section. It is the pipe inbetween the plates and the tip that rattles against my spare tire well.
      98 Camaro<br />Whisper air lid, K&N filter, SLP CAI, MSD coils, NGK plugs, Borla cat-back

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X