SLP Cold Air Induction Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP Cold Air Induction Questions

I'm thinking about doing the SLP CAI mod mainly because its a cheap and easy first mod. Anyone have this and have any comments about it? I want to eventually (long, long time from now since it's so expensive) get a WS6-style hood with functional airbox - will these two mods work together or is it overkill for the intake. How much performance increase do you get (its advertised as 15 hp, but I'm guessing that's for V8's)?

Anyway, any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
    - Mike<br /><br />Pewter 2001 Pontiac Firebird<br />Bone stock<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye</a>

I have FTRA, which is essentially the same thing.
    It's a great mod, but for your first I would personally go for a whisper lid and k&n filter for the same price.
    I would personally say that thats the best first mod...not only will you get more hp and torque but you'll love the way it changes the sound of the engine because it removes the air silencer. THEN put the CAI with it and you'll have a mighty nice intake set up.
    I dont believe that you can use both a CAI and a functional air box...but the CAI is supposed to give you better gains anyway.
    Hope this helped.
    Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

What about the SLP HO Ram Air hood? It claims to work in conjunction with the original airbox and Whisper lid, and still give a 10-15 hp gain. How the CAI work in conjunction with the SLP HO hood? Just want to get a bit more informed before I start modding, and plan for the long term as well. I would imagine that too much ram-air isn't good - or is thre such a thing as too much ram-air?

Thanks for the reply and tips Floyd!

[ January 10, 2004: Message edited by: NightEye ]</p>
      - Mike<br /><br />Pewter 2001 Pontiac Firebird<br />Bone stock<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye</a>

Comment

The ram air hood does the same thing as my ported nostrils. Lets air flow directly into the stop intake slit. The CAI for cars with a lid takes air from undernear the airbox and blocks off the stock slit. So no a ram air hood wouldn't work how it is suppose to with the CAI working how it is suppose to.
        00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Yeah it wouldn't work how it's supposed to, but it wouldn't do anything bad either.
          It would just let cool air into the engine bay and keep it a little cooler...no harm there [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          But that H.O. hood is a mean hood. Good choice.
          Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            2 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X