Dynomax Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynomax Exhaust

Ok Im new to the forum and I have some questions about dynomax exhaust.

1. What is the difference between the ultra flo and the super turbo? I know that with the ultra flo the exhaust pretty much goes straight thru and the super turbo, the exhaust is redirected.

2. What are the pros and cons of each system?

3. And if I want a quiter system than the flowmaster 80, americanthunder, or magnaflow- is this the way to go? Im looking for something that will be fairly quiet at idle, with a little rumble and then pretty aggressive at higher rpm.

I apologize for the length, but maybe someone can help, I have looked thru other posts and have not found a definite answer. Thank you.

i was under the impression that the superturbo and the ultraflow were internally simmilar, but the ultraflow has a stainless steel case, but i could very possibly be mistaken

my ultraflow that i have is much quieter than my couzin's flowmaster 80 series (and i have headers, a high flow cat, and a 2.75 inch I-pipe)

i love the sound of my ultraflow, its a lot deeper than the 80 series crapmaster, and its nice and shiny

(note: the reason im installing a 2OTL is because i love the look of it and it outflows all the other mufflers out there, and got it for a low low price)
    -Aaron, AKA ATL2001<br />93 3.4L <br /><a href=\"http://www.ilfba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ilfba.com</a>

Comment

I went to the dynomax web site and looked at diagram of each, the ultra flo diagram showed the exhaust going straight thru, while the super turbo was redirected in the muffler.

How much did you pay for your ultra flo, and do they have catback systems for a 3.8, or do you have do adapt one?

Comment

The ultraflo is more straight through compared to the superturbo. Dynomax's back pressure numbers on their pdf catalogs bear this out. For the same configuration of inlet and outlets, the ultraflo is always rated higher CFM.

Love mine, sound is great. Price was about $130 i think. Custom exhaust, since I couldn't find an easy 2.75" set of pipes off a V8.
        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

I have the ultra flo, I bought it because it had a 3" inlet whereas the crossflow-style super turbo had a 2.5" inlet. I didn't want to reduce my 3" cat back down going into the muffler. If you want it quieter at idle and more aggressive at higher rpm as you describe in #3 above then go with the super turbo. Search exhaust forum for "dynomax" or "sound", you will find alot of people describe the super turbo this way and with little drone at highway speeds. The ultra flow is louder, and because of its straight-through design when put on a V6, it get ricey over 4000 rpms.
          01 Camaro A4 Convertible

Comment

I have the 3 Inch ultra flow catback. Its quite loud and drones a bit inside. As for being ricey mine really isn't that bad above 4000 i'm happy with it, I wasn't expecting to sound like an 8 all the time. I got it for performance reasons. IIRK the Superturbo is something around 410cmf and the ultra flow is 1133fmc or close to that.

EDIT http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloweld.stm
            1998 Firebird W68 Y87 A4<br />Raised Airbox<br />3\" Dynomax Ultra Flow CatBack<br />2800 Stall Torque Converter<br /><a href=\"http://www.tyler98w68.isask.ca\" target=\"_blank\">www.tyler98w68.isask.ca</a>

Comment

wow, do you think it is that much better than a super turbo, i want to change my exaust now!

Comment

Vid clip of me autocrossing, you can hear the Ultraflo pretty decently (2MB video):

http://www.ferndog32.com/videos/jeff...-tuc-apr04.wmv

The run down has a lot of constant and off throttle in first gear. After looping back, there's a good WOT run from mid-first to the top of second before I hit the slalom cones.

-Jeff
                Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Hey thanks for the video, it gave me a pretty good idea of what the ultraflo will sound like.

Comment

Which is quiter the Flowmaster 80 or the Dynomax Ultraflo?

Comment

I"ll have some sound clips of mine hopefully in the next week or so
                      1998 Firebird W68 Y87 A4<br />Raised Airbox<br />3\" Dynomax Ultra Flow CatBack<br />2800 Stall Torque Converter<br /><a href=\"http://www.tyler98w68.isask.ca\" target=\"_blank\">www.tyler98w68.isask.ca</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X