pacesetters finally got here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pacesetters finally got here

I was one of the people in the pacesetter GP! they came today. Jason was two hours late, but he told me it was because of the oh so nice I-95 traffic. He said he almost forgot where I lived since its been about 2 months since I've ordered something from the net [img]smile.gif[/img]
    However I do have a few quick questions. I bought the aromor coating, but I was under the impresstion that the coating made the headers black. Mine are shiny silver. I'd rather them be silver, but I want my coating!
    I know alot of people are having problems with installing theirs but I dont want to pay a shop $300+. Is there a site or write up that details how to do this on a 99+? My last question is that I was told even though the headers say 95-99 they'd fit on a 01. But even the invoice says 99, so is there anything special I need.
    Mine came with bolts but I didnt see any gaskets, whats the part number for those as well?

i used the write-up in the database and the silver is the one you want. I got the cheap painted and mine were black. I have a tip for you from when I installed mine I forgot about this. When you take off the old manifolds, there are like two bolts on both sides that don't come out(you'll see what I mean). At least that's how it was on mine. Put two nuts on there and tighten them up real good on each other and then use the inner nut to unscrew the bolt. I forgot about this until I was on the second header so I have the bolts still in on my passenger side.
    - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

what about the gaskets? No special tools or anything? Hopefully with two people working on the car it wont take any more than a day :/
      I wish we could put our own cat backs on, but I cant weld

Comment

I can't really help with the gaskets, I'm sure if you search, you should be able to find that info hopefully. Mine came with the gaskets. Ummm... for tools, the bolts you take off the manifolds are 13mm and the bolts that come with the headers are 7/16 standard. The easiest tool for me to get the bolts on and off with was just a plain ol wrench. The o2 sensors are 7/8 standard. The heat shields were kind of a pain but they just took some time and wiggling.

Ya, I too had to take it in the get welded at meineke but since I wasn't buying any parts they didn't have to write up a ticket so it was kind of an under the table deal. It was 60 bucks but they had to bend to Y-Pipe because it didn't fit up to the headers right.

Ya, but it shouldn't take more than a day to do with two people. It took me probably a total of 17 hours to do by myself. I also changed out all the plugs and wires at the same time.

And it was a real pain to hacksaw off the Y-Pipe too. You might want to do that the night before so you don't waste time.

Hope this is of some help.
        - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

Get an O2 Sensor socket to take of the O2s...really makes it easy!

Best way to get the heat shields out: beat the crap out of them. Had a hard time getting the passenger side heat shields out, but a hammer took care of it.

Do everything from the bottom. Old manifolds out, new headers in through the bottom.
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

just got my install today with the headers and the labor it cost me 825.00 it took the guy 14 hours he said it was a ***** on the passenger side good luck all

Comment

I installed mine by myself in about 3-4 hours its a lot easier with tubular manifolds than the old log style
              02 Firebird NX wet kit, MAFT,Coated pacesetter headers,ORP, Borla catback, !fra, whisper lid,NGK TR6\', taylor wires, hpp3, autometer gauges, 30th and 35th stripes,macewen silver gauge overlay, painted interior and calipers, ww spoiler, transgo shift kit, corvette servo, BMR stb,boxed lower control arms, custom subframe connectors

Comment

Mine came on Weds. Man, I wish classes were done with so I had the time to get those babys on and the engine back in the car. But, sadly they will have to sit in my garage until the last few weeks of May.

As for the coating, the shiney silver IS the coating. If you look down in the pipe you can see what they look like uncoated.

Are you saying yours didn't come with gaskets? Mine came with gaskets, Instructions, Flange bolts, and new header bolts. Plus stickers! :D lol

Let us know how the install goes. I can't wait to put mine on.
                1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

my gaskets came ina folded cardboard sheet. just tip the box and they should come out and it will say gaskets on it.
                  2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfilling:
                    just got my install today with the headers and the labor it cost me 825.00 it took the guy 14 hours he said it was a ***** on the passenger side good luck all
                    You know, you make me feel real good about installing them myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear they cost so much, must have been a bad mechanic. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

oh ya, and you also need a 13mm socket to deep throat the stock header bolts. [img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet, I poured everything out of the box. the headers look so nice! I even have the bolts and the gaskets, so I'm set!
                      Wish someone around here could help with the install, but I have a friend that'll help me get teh job done.

Comment

im glad my dumping the box over advice helped [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

yes! I cant wait to throw them on!

Comment

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:41 am
                            Post subject: 1997 3800 Header install Deatails, read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone, I just install PaceSetter Headers on my 97 3800 heres the details

what you need
                            Metric tools, weches and sockets,
                            3 inch extention, 6 inch extention
                            plyers. welder, saw, few other things
                            swivil, 2 PEOPLE

1 frist drive the car then let it cool about 45 mins, HINT PUT YOU HOOD UP cool faster

2 pull it up on ramps, block back tire e-break all that, saftey

3 get old Y pipe off there undo bolts and cut away from cat then, this gives you more room

4get the plug wires out of the way, then the plugs, Manofolds are still hot!! use gloves

5 no im not crazy your working while it cools this is why, start on the manifold bolts ASAP, when car warm they come out easy, i only had trouble with the vary last one i took out, driver side, 3rd bolt, bottom. theres studs with nuts on them, on that bolt the nut was free from the stud, then i got stud out after 15mins of playing with it. NOTE i had to put a stock stud in this hole, i dont know why but new ones would not go in

It wiil take longer to get stock manifolds out then the new headers in

6 the pass manifold will drop out the bottom, take the driver side out the top tricky but it will go. NOTE you need 2 people 1 under car and one under hood. you can take off the heat sheilds on the manafolds it helps a little. (have to anyway to get the O2 senors out)

7. as you take stock out have person thats not under car get out the O2 senors (or have new ones ready) mine came out easy 19mm. TAKE OFF HEAT SHEILDS. Then put them in the headers were they go.

8. most tricky part of the header install is getting the driver side in there, dont be fooled bye room on the driver side, the drive side will take longer to do almost everything, dont look like it. trust me it goes in, without removing any thing, from the bottom
                            had to dent the frame a about 1/2 back to slip it in, NO BIGY

9. sealing, DO NOT GET THE FEL-PRO GASKETS THEY SUCK, I was frustrated with the leaks,so I tried stock ones, drive side sealed up, pass side did not , i cut my own gasket and used stock to get it to seal (yes both). if i had more time i would have got new stock ones from GM, call them they have exact ones you just took out, PARTS DEPOT at any gm dealer i would have those new ones before you start. use those. if does leak, it only takes about 20 min to take header off and move gasket a little, I SAY: make sure gasket is as far to the top as it can as this is were all me leaks was, top and just to left when looking at them.

I got a sheet from autzone and tried making my own gaseket, it almost worked this is how i know were it was leaking, but with my homeade gasket and the stock one it sealed, with new stock, you should not have problem.

new headers are easy to bolt in just start in the center and work outwards, then back to center till everything is snug. put ypipe on snug up bolts, weld to cat. thats about all, i used old lug nuts as spacers on the flang bolts so i could make it tighter helps ALOT

ADVIES TO GET NEW HIGH FLOW CAT , I HAVE CATCO, AND 2 1/2 CAT BACK PIPES, CAMARO V8 80 SERIES FLOWMASTER FROM SUMMIT 3 INCH IN AND DUAL 2 1/2 OUT, SOUND LIKE V8 TILL ABOUT 3500RPM

Pros
                            more top end power, lol, i can cherp going into 4 gear!!!! WOW
                            better sound
                            even with 195 thermo temp stay at 180 now
                            cleans up bay
                            change spark plugs and wires in 20-40 mins, YES I SAID 20 MINS, i had a miss took out every plug and checked it in 20mins, From the top only!!!!!
                            O2 replacement is snap
                            BETTER GAS MILeAGE
                            NO CODES
                            loooks great
                            LUB LUB LUB LUB LUB GRR GRR LUB LUB KILL LUB THE GRR RICE LUB LUB OH YEAH
                            headers have pulation and O2 hook up built in. came with new header bolts and flang bolts
                            cant think of any cons, ones there are only for install
                            using gtech pro 3 runs showed gain of 13-29 RWHP

CONS
                            costly TO BUY
                            need time
                            freaking polution cotroll on driver side is hard to seal, cut one out from the sheet i got at auto zone WORKS GREAT NO LEAK
                            center plug on pass side, shave down a 5/8 socket till you can get over the plug, or bye shorty plugs no biggy
                            ummm cant really think of any more
                            umm
                            ahh
                            you get my point

gaskets are meltle, you can take haeders on and off till you get seal,

any qestions why i did or did not do something please ask, or if you need more detail on certan things let me know, e-mail or im me viper03af@aol.com
                            www.turbov6camaro.com
                            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

hers another place to buy them if anyone loking ofor some

http://jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stor...0101&langId=-1
                              www.turbov6camaro.com
                              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X