Help! Rough idle after catback install - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Rough idle after catback install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Rough idle after catback install

Went with Dynomax 3 inch and catco 2.5 inch cat. When I first got my car back, it ran fine, no ses light, nothing. This was for 45 miles. After it sat for about 6 hours, started it up, and car had very rough idle. Felt like I had a cam in it or something. Thought that it was flooded because I could smell quite a few fumes in the air. Took it out for a drive, it runs fine, no miss or anything. When you go to stop, then comes the rough idle. After about 40 miles, the ses light finally comes on. Could this be the computer adjusting? If so, will resetting it make the process go faster? Man, it running strong though! :D Except for the miss. Please help.
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

It's probably unrelated. This stuff happens to me all the time. I do a mod and just happen to fill up with bad gas or one of my plugs goes out and I get all worried about a mod. Exhaust will not cause rough idle. If you don't have a MAF screen then the addition of the exhaust could amplify the effect. If it's noticably rough then do a tuneup. Check the basic things.

Comment

Thanks Dom, but Man, it's a bad idle. It's almost surging. I mean the car is just rocking at the red light! Nothing else has been touched. Drove it, parked it, started six hours later, rough idle. Scared the hell out of a mustang though. :D
      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I am new to this site and hope I do not step on any toes. I used to work on old 350 v8 camaros and 5.0 mustangs, the days when a good holley carb was the only way to go.... though i am not that far out of college...

I agree with Dom, but a good fuel injection cleaning never hurt. Further, I do not know your car, but if not lately, possibly a fuel filter change would not hurt....

Though I am sure just a bad tank of fuel is the main culprit...

dave

Comment

Do u have a SES light or anything if so maybe a burnt wire
          <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

Yeah, I have the light now. Didn't have it until about 100 miles after the install.

Comment

[img]redface.gif[/img] Well guess what it was? Took my car to my mechanic buddy. He popped the hood, connected a loose vacuum line that goes to the throttle body (or intake plenum) in half a second. [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img] Problem remedied. He then reset the SES code that I threw last night with his troubleshooting tool. Computer also said that my car was running lean, but I think that's temporary due to the loose vacuum line, the exhaust change and/or me resetting the PCM last night. Glad he was up at the shop. Well, I'm gonna see if the light comes back on, then I'm gonna finish writing my dynomax catback review. Thanks guys for your help.

Comment

glad it was nothing serious man
                AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  4 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X