My Zero-60 times before and after Ram air - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Zero-60 times before and after Ram air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Zero-60 times before and after Ram air

I purchased a ram air hood, its supposed to get here and installed in about 3 days. Using a stop watch, my friend and i timed my 0-60 with us both in the car. The times were 9.25 on a slight downhill, 9.76 on a slight uphill, and around 9.5 on the flattest road we could find. After several runs, this was the norm. Lets see if the Ram air helps! I'll update the post when i find out.
    1998 Sport Metallic Gold Camaro<br />Current Mods<br />AIWA CD/MP3 player<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Dual 3.5\" chrome exhaust tips<br />Removed Front Grill<br />Functional RAM AIR, ss-style hood<br />Exhaust Cutout<p>Future Mods:<br />Leather Seats<br />Improved audio system<br />Different wheels<br />Indiglo gauges<p><a href=\"http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/\" target=\"_blank\">http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/</a>

well a stop watch is a bad way to do it. You should be running 7sec or so not 9

Comment

A stopwatch is very inaccurate for 2 reaons:
      1) Reaction time
      2) Speedometer lag

-Mike
      <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Yeah, a stopwatch is in no way accurate at all. Second, if you're running 9.x 0-60's, you have bigger things to worry about!
        Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

Hopefully you have a ram air air box. thats alot of airs. Anyways, the hood itself won't do jack.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

obviously sherlock
            1998 Sport Metallic Gold Camaro<br />Current Mods<br />AIWA CD/MP3 player<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Dual 3.5\" chrome exhaust tips<br />Removed Front Grill<br />Functional RAM AIR, ss-style hood<br />Exhaust Cutout<p>Future Mods:<br />Leather Seats<br />Improved audio system<br />Different wheels<br />Indiglo gauges<p><a href=\"http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/\" target=\"_blank\">http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/</a>

Comment

9 sec.

Is that a passenger in the car too?

There actually may be other problems if that time is accurate...

Comment

get or borrow a G-tech...that will give you precise times for what it reads..but not always accurate to what you are actually running. G-tech's are off +- 0.1 of a sec.....

When i run Gtech, It says I hit 60mph when I'm actually at like 54....Speedometer lag like Mike Said....
                you can't do all that uphill downhill business. You need to have one stretch of road and run from the same exact points. A slightest bump can slow your car down. You also need to try to do it on a day with the same weather/road conditions on the same tire pressures.
                Goodluck with the RA

Comment

there were two persons in the car, myself and my friend in the passenger seat. he was manning the stop watch, starting it whenever i floored it. then he'd cut it off when i hit 60. its probably inaccurate though. this is just so i can see if the new ram air helps.

Comment

Well even though it's not giving you an accurate time of 0-60, it's giving you a time of 0-something so as long as you test it under the same conditions with the new hood [img]smile.gif[/img]

BUUTTT... for 0-60 times, unless the hood is a lot lighter, I HIGHLY doubt it's going to make any difference at all... it's more of an appearance mod and any gains you'll get will be at higher speeds where the engine may actually run cooler from a consistant airflow. That would be a whole different story if you tied your intake into the hood and made it work.
                    1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

the hood and airbox are tied together, thus being functional!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> obviously sherlock <hr></blockquote>
                        Hey man don't be an *******. Read your original post.
                        <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I purchased a ram air hood, its supposed to get here and installed in about 3 days. <hr></blockquote>
                        You said hood, not ram air assembly and hood. So get off my sack watson.
                        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

get a ws6 ram air box for your car. the bolt pattern for both is the same. jst use the V6 lid you have with it and it'll be a ram air car. try it and see what i mean.
                          2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Okay, help me understand. What's the big difference between the lower part of a ram air airbox, and the lower part of a stock air box that is cut out and possibly raised? I think that he'll see the benefits with just a lid to go with his future setup because he wouldn't have those "hood latch thingies" in the way of his airflow. As far as what I've heard, that the major difference in the hoods. Hell, the top scoops on a WS6 hood aren't even functional.
                            <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

first, the top ws6 scoops are functional, not the bottom 2. next, the bottom part of the box is separate from the top part that is the lid. The lid can be replaced with a whisper lid for a v6. the ws6 air box has a 2" high air inlet for more air to get in. It is like us raising out air box with a lot of washers, but done so it looks really good. our air inlet is only about 1 inch ot 3/4 of an inch.

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: Patrick Javert ]</p>
                              2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X