Raised Airbox + FRA mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised Airbox + FRA mod

Anyone who's planning on doing one or the other, i'm telling you now...DO BOTH! I was bored and decided i'd try the raised airbox mod. I already did the free ram air, but most people on here said that both shouldn't be done together because the raised airbox would let the airflow from the FRA get out. I can tell you right now, this is not true. I went out and bought twelve 3/4" washers, for a grand total of 60 cents. took me about 10 minutes to install, and then took it out for a test drive. the car pulls much harder in every gear. i was doing about 70 mph on the highway last nite, i punched it and was up to 100 in a couple seconds. and this is with a dirty K&N filter. I'm going to clean it before i go to the track on Saturday, we'll see if it's any better.

Bottom line, do both mods, you won't be sorry.
    \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Thanks for the tip! I just got in my DMC time machine, went back to three years ago, and did both of those mods. ;)

But seriously, I agree. And if you are thinking of doing neither of those mods, at least raise the airbox.
    Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

So what is the logic behind raising the airbox? To be like a trans am that needed it because the air flow from the hood didn't hit the non raised box?
      00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

When you raise up the box, it simply increases the area that your air filter has to suck air in. I never raised mine, just did the free ram air and then switched to the Fast Toys Ram Air which has you seal up that area which the raised air box increases.
        1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

raise airbox also created a slit running the length of part of the frame for air to go around the intake.
          00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

I have the FTRA. Will that help or not help the raised airbox mod. Anybody have a write up on what needs to be done??? Thanks!
            98 Camaro V6

Comment

Remove the plastic piece the airbox sits on/is the bottom of the airbox. Place washers under it (where the bolts go) the washers raise the airbox above the normal height.

Comment

I tried this same thing with my 99...the problem is the whole benefit to the FRA or the FTRA and what is needed for it to work.....

Air needs to be pressurized in order to properly force air as you go up in the rpms....

with the air box being raised with washers you are losing that pressurization needed. that why the FTRA is supposed to work so well because it was sealing the air box so that any air coming through the system would stay pressurized.

I did the FRA first and went about .15 faster and 1 MPH more....

When I added the washer setup I consistently net lost .05 and lost the MPH completely.

Took the washers back off and picked my numbers and MPH back up....

Hope this helps.......
                Eric

2005 Mustang 4.0
                1996 Camaro Conv
                2000 Ford Excursion

"Darkness Falls"

Comment

The raised airbox "mod" gets my vote for the stupidest mod ever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X