Resonators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonators

Do exhaust tips with these resonators in them accually help or hurt the sound of the exhaust?

Fast Toy's has a set of Dual Slash Tips that have resonators in them and ones that dont, and the ones with the Resonators are less expenisve too!
    <a href=\"http://alternatebw.homestead.com/files/cam19.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">1996 Camaro 3800II Y87 A4</a> (SOLD)<p>NEW CAR:<br />2003 Ford Mustang

I dont think the resonator will help our cars, it would probably make it a bit higher pitched than stock. plus, they are heavy... I have dual/dual 3" tips without resonators from hookerand those are pretty heavy so i can't imagine what one of those could weigh. unless you have a really loud and open exhaust resonators would prob. hurt the sound. stick with a decent cat-back or somthing along those lines.

Comment

resonator tips really won't weight different than the same type tip. There's nothing more to the tip, it's just cut out holes that have fins that recirculate the air before it exits, mellowing out the sound. I haven't seen very many Fbodies with resonators. I see most of that on rice

Comment

Just put on a dynomax bullet muffler on your I pipe to take away the resonance and smoothen out your exhaust sound. Video will be up very soon of my setup. :D

Scott

Comment

Resonators remove the high pitch frequencies(aka rice) that bounce back and forth off the inside walls of your exhaust system. Similar to a glasspack. They are beneficial to the sound coming out of your tailpipe, but look kind of dumb as tips. Some parts stores sell exhaust amplifiers or megaphones and call them resonators which obviously do something different.
          \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

and even better if you use a real resonator bullet type muffler inline on your i-pipe as opposed to simple resonator tips.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by knowledgefreak:
              and even better if you use a real resonator bullet type muffler inline on your i-pipe as opposed to simple resonator tips.<hr></blockquote>

Agreed, that's partly why I did that.
              Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HAZ-Matt:
                Agreed, that's partly why I did that.<hr></blockquote>
                Are you using a resonator and a muffler or just the resonator?

Comment

I am using a resonator and a muffler. You just use a resonator (something one of my friends had on his 99, replaced it witha muffler eventually) and it will be loud and not sound very good.

By the way, resonated tips contain extra material that acts as a little resonator... they do not just have little fins. Those are intercooled tips.
                  Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HAZ-Matt:
                    I am using a resonator and a muffler. You just use a resonator (something one of my friends had on his 99, replaced it witha muffler eventually) and it will be loud and not sound very good.

By the way, resonated tips contain extra material that acts as a little resonator... they do not just have little fins. Those are intercooled tips.
                    <hr></blockquote>

I like that idea. I think I'll give it a shot. About the tips... I think ANY tips that resemble a coffee can look dumb.

Comment

The best looking tips you can use to also kill some of the ricey sound are PaceSetter Duals. These are glasspack "resonator" tips that really knock the sound levels down to a tolerable level and give the car a more "domestic" sound if you have installed a Flowmaster, Dynomax or Magnaflow muffler with a big I-pipe. I have even thought of adding a bullet in the I-pipe between my cat and muff to take the sound down a little more.
                      180 Thermo, K&N Filter, Transgo stage 2, Pacesetters, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Catback, 3.42 LSD, Hotchkis LCA/Panhard, Bilstein, Eibach Pro, 1LE bars, SP crossdrilled/slotted rotors.<br /><br />Vortech Project 1.0 failed.<br />Vortech Project 2.0 in the works

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DrFix2Fly:
                        I have even thought of adding a bullet in the I-pipe between my cat and muff to take the sound down a little more.<hr></blockquote>

A Dynomax Bullet is basically a resonator, as are all single chambered mufflers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X