3" exhaust won't fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" exhaust won't fit

Just got a call from my muffler shop telling me he can't make a 3" pipe work; I wanted him to install a 3" cat with a 80 series Flowmaster; he says a 3" pipe won't work between the two. I have seen tons of 3" setups here. Should I switch muffler shops or is there a secret to making this work?
    1996 Y87 A4 Firebird<br />Black, T-tops, Halogen Headlights<br />Infinity Speakers<br />3\" Flowmaster Cat-Back<br />SLP CAI<br />Rebuilt 3.8 with 18k<br />(Stupid Headgasket)

Uhh, where exactly is he saying it won't work?

3" piping will fit anywhere, just some areas will take more work than others.

I just had a 3" dual exhaust off a 2001 SS installed yesterday..., they had some trouble, but that was just because the hanger setup was slightly different.
    2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

He is trying to bend 3" pipe to fit over the axle (connecting pipe between the cat and the muffler); he says he can't bend 3" pipe in a tight enough radius. Is there a pre-bent pipe that we need to buy?
      1996 Y87 A4 Firebird<br />Black, T-tops, Halogen Headlights<br />Infinity Speakers<br />3\" Flowmaster Cat-Back<br />SLP CAI<br />Rebuilt 3.8 with 18k<br />(Stupid Headgasket)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Black_v6_Beast:
        He is trying to bend 3" pipe to fit over the axle (connecting pipe between the cat and the muffler); he says he can't bend 3" pipe in a tight enough radius. Is there a pre-bent pipe that we need to buy?<hr></blockquote>

You're talking about the s-pipe right? I was just told something similar by a guy at Midas. I need to get a mandrel 3" s-pipe somewhere too.
        Bruce<br />2000 Silver 3.8L V6 Camaro M5<br />183.1 rwhp / 220.5 rwtq

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Silver2000V6:

You're talking about the s-pipe right? I was just told something similar by a guy at Midas. I need to get a mandrel 3" s-pipe somewhere too.
          <hr></blockquote>

The I-pipe goes over the axle I believe. And yes it should fit. Many people here have done it.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
          White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bu-bye:

The I-pipe goes over the axle I believe. And yes it should fit. Many people here have done it.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: bu-bye ]
            <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, the i-pipe does go over the axle you're right. The cat connects to the s-pipe and the s-pipe connects to the i-pipe. The s-pipe is where the tight bends are and that is where I am having problems. But you are correct, the i-pipe shouldn't be a problem. I have a 3" i-pipe.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Silver2000V6 ]</p>
            Bruce<br />2000 Silver 3.8L V6 Camaro M5<br />183.1 rwhp / 220.5 rwtq

Comment

Your signature indicates you have a cat-back system. This should include the 3-inch section that goes over the axle.

If you are calling a 80 series muffler a cat-back system your incorrect and your post is misleading.

To clarify a cat-back system is defined as all exhaust hardware after the catalytic converter back. This is why it's called a cat-back

Just a thought. Why would you spend all that labor money to create cat-back system plumbing if you can buy a complete cat-back system with muffler for less than $250.00 with all the plumbing included.

Bill Spano

BAD 2000 WS6 12.394@109.43 60ft 1.676 (spinning), 325 RWHP, 343.4 RWTQ
              http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=332

V6 Revenge 13.967@90.42 60ft 1.779
              http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=257

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Spano ]</p>

Comment

He is trying to bend 3" pipe to fit over the axle (connecting pipe between the cat and the muffler); he says he can't bend 3" pipe in a tight enough radius. Is there a pre-bent pipe that we need to buy?<hr></blockquote>

I was told that too. "If you don't bend it just right, it'll hit something or touch something on the car." I still don't know what I am going to do: Get a 3-inch pipe or not. There MUST be some 3 inch s-pipe to get in Summit or something!!

And Bill, if I had to do it all over again, I'd save and buy a catback instead of spending my $$$ quickly and dumbly and just getting the muffler. :(

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: TheV6Bird ]</p>
                --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

He is trying to bend 3" pipe to fit over the axle (Is there a pre-bent pipe that we need to buy?<hr></blockquote>

Why not just get a mandrel bent one? 3" dynomax
                  I pipe. You live in dallas you say? i'll let you see my 3" exhaust from cat to muffler system. Its all mandrel bent.

Comment

SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH AND SWITCH. A good exhaust shop can make it fit.
                    1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

I ordered two 90 degree mandrel 3" pipes from jcwhtiney for about 50 bucks. You're gonna need two of them to make the S pipe then the muffler shop can size them down for you.
                      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Well Bill I put that on ym sig b/c I thought this afternoon I would have a cat back so no flames or explanations necessary. All I need to know is exactly where I can get 3 inch pipes for my bird. Also I've seen the American Thunder System for the LT1's I was wondering if I could buy that and then either install it myself or have the shop install it along with a 3 inch cat. Any thoughts appreciated

Comment

I went to a local muffler shop and told them what I wanted. They ordered it from Magnaflow. 3" mandrel bent i-pipe from the S-pipe all the way to the cat

Fit perfectly between the axle and car. (they need to use the lift that lifts the car by the frame so there will be a TON of wheel gap and the pipe fits real easy and smooth. then when it goes back to the ground it squezes up tight but there is still a good bit of clearance on all sides of the 3" i-pipe)

it can be done. my car is proof. now they said i couldn't get a 3" s-pipe to fit in there, but the v8 boys use a 4" s-pipe so if they can fit that, dammit they can fit a 3" one on mine!! currently i have a 2.5" s-pipe which hopefully will be changed soon
                          1996 Polo Green Metallic Firebird V6 3800 A4 - <i><a href=\"http://personal.bellsouth.net/lig/j/h/jhooks2/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">The Green Goblin</a></i>

Comment

do you have any part numbers for a 3" I pipe???

Comment

To clarify what type of vehicle would normally have a 3-inch exhaust? Trucks!

Go to a truck supply shop. Pick up two 3-inch 90-degree mandrel bends for about $10.00. Make sure there're 3 inch ID (inside diameter) at one end and 3 inch OD (outside diameter) at the other.

You can then connect these sections together and now you have a 3-inch mandrel bent S-pipe.

This should then butt up to the cat and intermediate pipe with no problems.

Bill Spano

BAD 2000 WS6 12.394@109.43 60ft 1.676 (spinning), 325 RWHP, 343.4 RWTQ
                              http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=332

V6 Revenge 13.967@90.42 60ft 1.779
                              http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=257

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Spano ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X