Put the resistor on your air intake.... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the resistor on your air intake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put the resistor on your air intake....

Ok well you all prolly know what im talking about...putting a 4.7k 1/2 Ohm resistor on your air temp module thingy by your airbox, I did it, cost me a buck for like 6 and I noticed a differance but remember it makes your car think your suckin in 57 degree air...so anything colder and it would hurt ya...dunno...I like it..

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

I'm confused. How does this help? I've heard it done and know it's easy, but why would you trick your PCM like that? It won't be able to make A/F ratio corrections as the temp actually changes.
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

It's a waste of money. I tried it and my car ran rich like a mofo, or was it lean.. Whatever it means to burn more gas than air. It just used more gas, don't think the pcm got the a/f ratio right.
      1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

it's call the Intake Air Temperature Sensor or the !IAT mod. It doesn't really do much unless you're at full-throttle. I only did it because I was given the extra resistor for free from another friend. JUST WHATEVER YOU DO...DON'T SPRAY WITH THAT RESISTOR IN...EVER!!!

Comment

tricks the pcm into thinking the ambient air is colder than it actually is. the point is to increase ignition timing advance, not to alter fuel delivery.
          some people like the mod, some have had poor results or no change at all.
          i know the iat module that slp sells sends a constant 35degf signal to pcm. not sure about the 4.7 kohm resistor. use the chart in haynes to see what 4.7 kohms should give you...
          at any rate, even at WOT, the IAT sensor input has little influence on the pcm's calculation of proper fuel injector pulse width.
          ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

the resistor reads the air as 57F

Comment

must be different from the slp version then because im looking at 35degf on autoxray right now. tonight when i get some time i'll chech resistance of the slp and post for those who are interested... or if someone wants to do this in the meantime....
              actually according to GM's spec chart for negative temp coefficient thermistors (IAT, ECT) a resistor of 1.459 kohms should give pcm 104degf. 5.670 kohms should give you about 50degf, and 9.420 should give you around 35degf.
              to account for what the pcm sees, you must account for additional resistance in the circuit to/fr pcm.
              ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

It supposity works in hot weather. But how often is is 35deg w/ 80% humity? The pcm makes proper adjustments via the weather. Is 2 hp worth tricking the pcm to make the wrong adjustments?

God only knows what ill affects it has.
                Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Seppo Kaitainen:
                  It supposity works in hot weather. But how often is is 35deg w/ 80% humity? The pcm makes proper adjustments via the weather. Is 2 hp worth tricking the pcm to make the wrong adjustments?
                  God only knows what ill affects it has.
                  <hr></blockquote>

pcm gets humidity info (to calculate air mass) from MAF sensor not IAT sensor.
                  2HP is mfgr claim, i would not say i gained 2hp from the mod. i would say i gained nothing from the mod.
                  the idea is to advance ign timing a few degrees by making pcm think incoming air is colder than it really is. and it does this. but the pcm will automatically advance at WOT until the point of detonation, because it sees the driver wants maximum performance. plus the MAF information given to the pcm somewhat contradicts the IAT information if you're using the mod, and the pcm will rely on MAF info much more often than the IAT for both a:f mixture at WOT as well as ignition advance.

plus, 2 degrees advance on base ign timing is like pi$$ing in the ocean.

like i say, some people love the mod, some hate it. some are indifferent.
                  i just say blah.

Comment

Had mine on for over a year now & no probs yet. Knock on wood. ;)
                    <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/bluethunder.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe</a><br /><i>13.083@108.23</i><br /><br /><a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/redfire.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Red Grandprix GTP</a> <b>SOLD</b><br /><i>14.49@94.42 (Bone stock)</i><br /><br />2002 Black Convertible Camaro Z28<br /><i>times comming real soon!</i>

Comment

Nikon did this to my car the other night...I've noticed no difference.

So im just gonna take it out and plug it back into where it belongs.

Comment

If you wanna properly advance spark, get a HPP3. you also get a bunch more stuff than just spark advance w/ it, too.
                        2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

I dont know if this is the best place or not to say this but my air temp module is for sale.

Click here.
                          <b>1998 Cayenne Red Camaro 3.8 A4</b><br />-Whisper Lid, K&N, manual fan switch, DEI 508D<br /><br /><b>FOR SALE:</b><br />-Whisper Lid<br />-PAC OEM-1 adapter<br />-GM Delco 12 disc CD Changer<br />-MTX 4250D amp<br />-Kicker Free Air subs<br />-DEI 508D Proximity Sensor

Comment

no matter how much you go in and manually change spark advance, the pcm will automatically cut it back when it detects detonation. this is a good thing, as detonation (aka preignition or spark knock) can destroy connecting rods and journal bearings. at WOT the pcm will give you as much spark advance as you need. nobody has shown on the dyno or the track that simply increasing base ignition advance results in performance gains on these engines. the days of turning the distributor to get a little more HP at the rear wheels are over. to get more power out of these engines, focus on getting more air in. the pcm will take over from there, without any special chips or programming.
                            a lot of guys get the power programmer and don't know exactly what they're doing and why. then they end up with their car in the shop for a week becuase they wanted what amounted to about 5hp more at the rear wheels (if that much).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X