Fast Toys Ram Air Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Toys Ram Air Concerns

Got my FTRA in the mail the other day. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Going over the directions, it would seem that there's a lot of cutting/trimming of the factory air box setup. :( That worries me. Wondering if there's a way that I could get an extra air box setup to use as a guinea pig? That is to say, if I had this, I could just do all the cutting, etc, in my spare time without disabling my daily driver. Has anyone done this? Would gmpartsdirect.com have what I'm looking for? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

theres not that much cutting, just a little section on the bottom half of the airbox assembly, you cant mess it up at all, and it only takes a few minutes to do, i installed mine in about a half hour
    98 Gold 3.8L W/ Whisper Lid, Holley power shot, Flowmaster with SLP Quad Exhaust

Comment

just use a dremel tool and you'll be fine. I was paranoid about cutting when I did the !FRA mod but it was really nothing.

Comment

Reading further, they mention a possible increase in engine temperature, and the utilization of a the 2nd fan w/ a manual switch for cooler runnings. Has anyone noticed this temperature rise? This is starting to sound like it's for racers only, and not my daily driver.

Comment

your engine temp will rise, mine went from like 180 up to close to 200, mainly like 185-190...only cause the cold air intake blocks the radiator so it cant cool as efficiently..turn your ac on it helps a lil
          98 Gold 3.8L W/ Whisper Lid, Holley power shot, Flowmaster with SLP Quad Exhaust

Comment

I have a spare factory air box... you pay shipping and like $5 and its yours.
            2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
            Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

I'm gonna raise this topic again, as I'm approaching installation. I live in Mass. The weather is often sucky. I'm concerned about the rain factor. If I drive in the rain without the block plate on, what's going to happen? Am I running the risk of ruining my engine? I live in an apartment, and don't have a garage to work in, so if I wake up and it's raining, I'm screwed. That is unless, I feel like standing in the rain, putting the block plate on. Just doesn't seem worth it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Comment

I got the RK sport one with the block plate. Right after I installed it it rained so I attempted to intall the block plate. Well, it hangs down too far and the actual frame of the car gets in the way, so I cant use it. anyway the next day it was still raining and I had to drive the car to school. Everything is fine, I was worried about water getting into the engine, but nothing has happened so far. I even hit a part on the highway where my right side tires hydroplaned. I think you'll be alright without the block plate

Comment

ive had the cold air intake for a few months and its rained many times, and ive never had the block off plate on, my friends have never put on their block off plates and ive never heard of any problems. I wouldnt worry to much about it, the only thing youll get from not putting on the block off plate is a dirtier air filter....
                  Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

Dewey, as others mentioned don't worry about the rain/water issue. I've been reading the boards for a couple of years now, & have never once heard about anyone's engine being ruined by water entering through the intake.

If for some reason you can't get the airbox from that dude that has an extra one, you could probably get one from a salvage yard off a used f-bod. www.speedautomotive.com or www.hpsalvage.com

Don't worry it's not a "racers only" modd. Most 98+ owners do this modd. Trust me you'll love it once it's done.

As for the temperature rising it's no biggie, but if you really wanna keep it cool, just get a hypertech 160 degree thermostat from www.thunderracing.com for like $10. or check your local autostore, could probably find one there.

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: Night Rider ]</p>
                    <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/bluethunder.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe</a><br /><i>13.083@108.23</i><br /><br /><a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/redfire.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Red Grandprix GTP</a> <b>SOLD</b><br /><i>14.49@94.42 (Bone stock)</i><br /><br />2002 Black Convertible Camaro Z28<br /><i>times comming real soon!</i>

Comment

Well that makes me feel better. It poured all day today during my installation, so I installed it w/ the block plate on, just in case. I'll take it off in the morning, and post the results. Much appreciation to all that contributed. It's folks like y'all that make this B.B. the success that it is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X