Question about install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about install

I ordered the 3" American Thunder catback. Forgot the PN exactly but it was 1799**** somethin or other. Its the one the Stefan has on his car. So I brought it to get installed and they said they couldnt do it because it wont match up because the rest of the system is 2.5". So my question is what do I need to do to get this system installed right. My mechanic that I brought it to said that I would be loosing backpressure (or was it gaining backpressure) from the difference in pipe size and he said I could loose horsepower because of this. Any info on what additional parts I might need or what I should be doing to get this thing installed right would be greatly appreciated. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

All you need is an adapter pipe where the catback ends. I ran into the same thing and we manufactured (aka cut) a 2.5" pipe to fit down to smaller 2.25" pipe that runs stock on mine. Then we just cut some slots into it, got some exhaust clamps and clamped everything down real tight. Everything worked just fine, you might want to have your adapter welded though as you will most likely run into some small exhaust leaks around the adapter ends.

I lost nothing at all using just a 3" catback, I only lost a little low end torque after upgrading to a 3" high flow cat. The low end losses were more than made up for by what I gained in the high-end.
    -Mark (aim: Eredasx)-<br />Black 01 Bird. 3\" exhaust. Eibach pros. Tokico shocks. Whisper lid. SLP CAI. LS1 DS. SLP fan switch. LSD. BMR PHR, LCAs and STB. Status: still repairing damage from punk thieves.

Comment

you wont loose any hp from going to a 3 inch system, it just moves your curves up a bit in the rpm range, so serpint didn't 'loose' low end power, it just moved, so yeah, i guess he lost it and gained it a couple of hundred rpm up,

your only gonna 'loose' hp with a system that has almost no backpressure, or at least this is what i've been led to believe... hope this helps, although i dint' answer any of your questions, i guess i just like to hear myslef type [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      97 camaro<br />black, 5 speed, t-tops, rockford fosgate cd w/4X6.5\" rockford speakers, 3\" flowmaster american thunder catback with 3\" carsound cat, SLP CAI, B&M Ripper w/leather Hurst shift knob, 5% tint.<br /> <a href=\"http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/ianwells100\" target=\"_blank\">http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/ianwells100</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X