Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

My car was on the lift the other day, and somebody pointed out that, "It looks like you've got a hole burning through your muffler." There is an area on the passenger side of the muffler that is showing a rusty/corrosive look to it. This is the stock muffler, and the car is up around 44,000 miles now.

For those who have experience with this, is it time or near time to replace this muffler? I would like to not spend the money if it isn't needing replacing.

However, if it does need replacing, I'm sticking to my philosophy of "When it breaks, make it better." Meaning, I would likely purchase a full lasting catback system instead of just another cheap muffler.

If I were to need it replaced, and purchase a catback, I would also like advice on which one to get. Here are my preferences: I would want nice quad tips for viewing pleasure. I like them the best. I want something more free flowing for that little extra of course. And I want something that has a more pure and suttle sound to it. Something not too insanely loud, especially inside the car. To describe this better, I'd like my car to not make a loud and choppy noise that sets off other people's car alarms; but rather something clean and pure near idle but sounds like a jet fighter if I really step on the gas.

Don't worry about cost, I'll decide on that. I just need advice on which catback best fits the above description, If I need to replace the muffler.

Thanks.

[ May 04, 2002: Message edited by: Paladin ]</p>

Hmm, if you're wanting quieter, look into Dynomax or Magnaflow.
    Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

Stock mufflers have a hole at the lowest point on the passenger side to drain accumulated water. Because it IS a hole, exhaust excapes and it always looks like crap due to carbon deposits. It is around 1/32" so it's probably not the source of your bad sounding exhaust unless it's corroded and rusted out to a bigger hole.
      \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Thanks Shadly. My exhuast sounds fine, that was never the issue. It's just nice to know that the hole is supposed to be there. I didn't want to spend money replacing the muffler right now if I didn't need to. Now I can relax and take those half-a-dozen road trips I've been meaning to take. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X