160* Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160* Thermostat

I'm gonna put a new thermostat in, but i was just wondering if I should go with 160* or 180*. I heard that the 160 can set off some codes since it may think the engine is not warming up correctly. I also heard that the actual operating temp is higher than 160. Is anyone running either a 160 or 180, and can you let me know what you think
    2002 Camaro A4<br />K&N FIPK<br />Ravin exhaust<br />15.64 @ 90.11 MPH<br /><br />_ _ ___________________ _ _ <br />2004 Quicksilver/Black GTO M6<br />Stock except !CAGS

some people get the code with a 160. ihave never heard of anyone getting a code with a 180. they are only a few bucks so if you realy want a 160 consider it a test. if it doesnot work then try a 180.

i would suggest tracking gas mileage before and after the 160.

the car will not stay at 160 and to be most effective you want to recalibrate the fan turn on/off temps as well.

my engine does run about 10 degrees cooler with the 180 degree stat vs the stock 195 stat.
    01 Firebird A4 3.42
    Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
    and other mods
    Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

i run 160. no SES, no problems. *thumbs up*
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I have an 02 and I got a code and it caused my temp gauge to stop working. The only way to fix it is with tuning software to delete the code.

g
        2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Originally posted by dmw319:
          i run 160. no SES, no problems. *thumbs up*
          when I researched there was mixed feelings about 160* stat and '00. I am running one on my '00 no problem.

You can fix it on '01-'02 just like little G said but if you search I think other people figured out how t do it with something else.
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

160* F Murphy (cheap ****) from Oreilly's
            on 2k2
            never an SES light
            though the Murphy does stick alot, maybe just a bad batch?

Comment

160 here as well, no problems love it :)
              My Ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1126995

Comment

If you run a 160 and have a problem, I can send a resistor to put in your IAT (18KOhm resistor) that will fix the problem. $1 to cover postage and it's yours. I have to use the resistor to make mine work right [img]smile.gif[/img]
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

i got $hit loads of 18k ohm resistors.
                  dont need 1

Comment

my 2000 3.8 has a 180 stock, if i replace it with a hypertech 180 degree thermostat, is it gonna be any different?
                    2000 3.8 Camaro M5<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832316\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832316</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Camaro:
                      my 2000 3.8 has a 180 stock, if i replace it with a hypertech 180 degree thermostat, is it gonna be any different?
                      A) 180° is 180°. The manufacturer of the stat won't make a lick of difference.

B) You have a 195° thermostat. Get at least a 180°. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Matt
                      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i have a 160 with no problems but yes, your fans wont come on sooner and so you wont run at 160*
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I have a 160 for a while - no problems

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X