Question?? on my headers!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question?? on my headers!!!!

I have recently got some headers put on my car this past week.. The cars seems to be running great and all. but the only thing is that when you are higher speeds there is this clicking type sound coming from up front.. i was just wondering if any of you new why this may be.. and if yall have ever ran in to that.. is it anything to worry about.. is there any way to stop it.. please let me know if you know anything ..
    thank you
    chuck

How loud is the clicking? Are you sure it just started when the headers were installed? How often does it click ( is it a rapid click or just every now and then? )?

BTW: What headers did you get? Did you pay for the install ( how much if you did? )?

~Brian
    NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

If you have a tiny little leak, it will make a clicking (or a ticking noise). At speed, put the car in neutral and let the engine revs come down, see if the ticking changes.

You probably won't be able to hear it on takeoff, over the normal exhaust noise. And at low load, you probably won't have enough flow/backpressure to cause it to leak. But at highway speed, there's enough pressure in there for it to leak.

To find the problem, you may have to slowly move your hand around where the header is bolted to the head, and around the collecter gasket, to see if you can feel a little bit of air pulsing out. Be careful around the hot parts...

If it's not leaking at idle though, this may not work, unless someone gives it a little gas while you're feeling around. After it leaks long enough, you may be able to spot some soot marks where the leak is.

The rksports are noted for leaking at the collector gasket.
      \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

also usually if it is an exhaust leak you won't notice the ticking until the car warms up... if you have a ticking when the car is cold that goes away when it warms up then that is your valves... this holds true alot of times..
        -Brad
        98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
        2000 V-Star Custom 1100
        If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
        :rock:

Comment

I agree with the header leak. You can go up to an autoparts store and pick up one of those stethescope things that help hear where a noise it coming from. You can go around your headers while the car is at idle and check for any leaks.

Did you get RKSports headers?
          <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

The clicking or ticking starts mostly when every I hit the gas. It does not do it at idel. And i know for a fact that it was not doing that befor the headers. I noticed it right them..Lots of people told me they maybe leaking..
            I bout them from a shop for 500$ installed and i think they maybe the rk sport headers, i pretty sure thats what they are..
            so what can i do to fix the leaking?? Is there anything??
            chuck

Comment

Also I noticed that when you are just driving normal the tick is not there.. its only there when the rpm's are up a high... whats the rpm's go down the clicking or ticking is not there.. an like i said it does not do it at idel

Comment

I suggest having a friend rev the engine while you look around and see where the ticking is coming from. I bet its a header. Maybe one of the gaskets warped.
                <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

ight

Comment

After any header install you are supposed to run the car for an hour or longer and then retighten the header bolts to the head. If the shop was a good one then they should know this and should have done it. Im pretty sure the standard bolt is a 3\8 head so just get your ratchet and socket out and check to make sure they are tight. This could very well be your problem. Also do you know weather they put normal steel gaskets on or copper gaskets. They both expand and contract bu the copper do it to a smaller degree.
                    1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

the ticking may be the heat flap. i get it whenever i accelerate. i don't get it when i am cruisin or slowing down. headers tend to make more heat anyway, so it is probably the heat flap working overtime.
                      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X