Strange sound from exhaust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange sound from exhaust!

I noticed that their is high pitch constant humming sound comeing out of my exhaust area, does anyone have a clue what it might be? I have flowmaster exhaust, I got under it one day and I tried listening to it from under the car, and its somewhere between the muffler and the....can't think of the name, well, right infront of the muffler, the center point of the two rear wheels. Anybody have this problem? Thanks [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] :cool: [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    Then: 1997 3.8L Red Firebird~SOLD!~<p>Now: 2002 Atlantic Blue Dodge Ram 1500

The way you are describing it sounds like you are hearing the fuel pump, and yes it is normal :D
    97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

To know for sure whether or not it is the fuel pump (which is what it sounds like it is) turn your key to the "run" position, the click right before you start it. If it is the fuel pump you will hear it kick on when you do this.
      2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

It only comes on when the car is started. The sound is louder then the exaust, I can hear it when I open my door. If thats the fuel pump, its pretty loud.

Comment

It's not the fuel pump then. Sorry I don't know what the noise is you're hearing.
          2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Only other thing I can think of is resonation in your muffler? My Dynomax did that but only under load. I don't know, would have to hear it to know what it is.
            97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

A friend told me today that who ever had it before me put a high flow fuel pump and thats what it was. Thanks for the help [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] :cool: [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

i get the fuel pump noise too through my rear speakers. But I don't think that's what you're talking about. Mine makes a buzzing sound. Buzz and humm are different. I do get a humming noise from my flowmaster exhaust. it resonates the crap out of my heat shield to where it hums. Sometimes is better than others. I get it more in the cold and the rain but it gets on my nerves anytime I drive it. It always does it at certain rpm's too. I wish there was some other way i could have a heat shield. Some sort of foam would be better than an aluminum shield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X