"Quiet" Catback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Quiet" Catback?

Hi folks - I want a catback for the breathing and the duals, but really want a bit less sound. Price/Sound/Performance trade off has me leaning to the 2.5" Flowmaster American Thunder package. What I would like to know is would a Dynomax 23" Thrush glasspack WLK-24214 knock down a lot more sound than the race bullet I see used a lot? Overall length of 28" - OK for fitting in the I-pipe? Thanks for all the knowledge I've gleaned from lurking.
    ~ rhodey

[ September 16, 2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: rhodeymark ]
    \'01 Camaro Vert ~ Black on Teal (but Mean Green in the sun)

check out my setup on my page below, there is also a sound clip. sounds a lot quiter than most that ive heard
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

cant say about the WLK-24214 but i would guess it to be very similar. (perf tube surrounded by glass packing) I am sure the 23" will not fit in the mid pipe. the 18" i put in replaced nearly all of the I pipe. best thing to do is to crawl under there with a measuring tape.

listen to some sound clips of the edelbrock catbacks.
      01 Firebird A4 3.42
      Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
      and other mods
      Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

dmw - loved your sound, it goes something like "cha-ching" doesn't it? jk - wish I could spring for Borla but it's too rich for my blood right now (wife would kill kill kill). My favorite exhaust tone by far. Grayman - thanks for responding. As you see in my sig I opted for a shorter Ultraflow, Calvin at Summit said the bullet glasspacks have an annoying habit of popping on rev down (the fart cannon?) and so I am putting a short Ultraflow on. The thing is, it is 6" round vice 4". Will that be a problem? Can't get under my car today (or tomorrow) - just had arth knee surgery :-( I think its the drugs making me spend hasty. That's my story anyway!! ~ rhodey
        PS - thanks for the guides on your website grayman, very very helpful. Nice ride too.

[ September 16, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: rhodeymark ]

Comment

If you just want a little more grumble over stock and arent looking to break the bank get a V8 take off. I love mine. You can pick them up real cheap on the V8 boards when those guys upgrade their exhaust.
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

yeah look at the boards like ls1tech.com or ls2.com, i got a ss muffler and tips for only 45 bucks and installed them myself, sounds a lot quieter than my flowmaster 80 series which cost 150 for the muffler and install.
            95 3.4 m5- comp 206/212, 1.6 roller rockers, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat, dynomax 18\" bullet muffler, ss muffler and tips, msd 8.5 wires, 32mm sway, umi sfc,

Comment

just go to any exhaust shop, they will have a stock replacement muffler for the z28s thats dual out, and its quiet... and i still was runnin 14.90s

Comment

i think they are right on the money by recommending the z28 muffler. I might be doing that as well. I guess I am getting old because I like the performance of my car but the extreme noise volume when I step on the gas bugs me.
                01 Firebird A4 3.42
                Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                and other mods
                Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

My Flowmaster system is in and I'm mounting it tomorrow morning. Since I stayed at 2.5" and subbed a real hi-flow muffler for the resonator I *may* (with luck) have a winner. I'm with you grayman - too old to love it "the louder the better". ~ rhodey

Comment

It's nice to know I'm not the only "old-fogey" here.
                    :D
                    1997 Camaro, Y87 Perf. Package, iRotor Drilled & Slotted Brakes, Bilstien Shocks, Custom drive shaft, K&N Filter, & Mobil 1 synthetic. 202+K miles and still drives like new.<br />-If you can\'t stomp \'em in the straights, kill \'em in the corners...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X