what is the exact purpose for 2 o2 sensors - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the exact purpose for 2 o2 sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the exact purpose for 2 o2 sensors

I have a 95 3.4 and there are two oxygen sensors and i was pondering splicing the two together so i can install an exhaust temperature guage in the o2 sensor slot. Has anyone installed an exhaust temperature guage. May sound stupid but can't make sense of 2 o2 sensors.
    Xnenon headlight conversion<br />k&n cold air induction<br />85 shot of nitrous (NOS)<br />255 lph walbro fuel pump<br />80 series flowmaster<br />z rated 255/50\'s<br />misc. auto meter tach and a-pillar

Having 2 allows the PCM to compare the emissions both pre and post cat to determine the efficiency (and existence) of the Catalytic converter.
    1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

I am confused since both of my O2 sensors are in the exhaust manifolds, i.e. one on each side, before the Cat converter. Please clairify. Thanks
      Xnenon headlight conversion<br />k&n cold air induction<br />85 shot of nitrous (NOS)<br />255 lph walbro fuel pump<br />80 series flowmaster<br />z rated 255/50\'s<br />misc. auto meter tach and a-pillar

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sped214:
        Having 2 allows the PCM to compare the emissions both pre and post cat to determine the efficiency (and existence) of the Catalytic converter.<hr></blockquote>

The two O2's you are refering to are not found on the OBD-1 3.4L cars. They only have one sensor in each manifold, nothing down by the cat.

I don't know how removing one of them would work. The PCM would loose the ability to differential between the two banks of cylinders. It might prevent you engine from operating as close to an optimum A/F mixture as it could. For example, if something goes wrong on the side where you removed the O2, the PCM won't pick it up through the O2 A/F reading like it normally might. Never heard of anyone replacing their O2 in the manifold on any car, I have only heard of sims used as sped214 mentioned on OBD-2 cars.

You could probably have an exhaust shop weld in a boss for you to mount the temp sensor in and still keep the O2's.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          4 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X