Removing old exhaust manifolds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing old exhaust manifolds.

I had planned on asking a local mechanic, but then I came to my senses and realized that someone here ought to know...

What kind of difficulty can I expect from removing my stock exhaust manifolds w/80,000 miles on them? Is it necessary for the motor to be pulled or can I leave it in?
    www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

I can answer from a '98, should be basically the same on the '96. The motor does not have to be pulled, lowered, or raised.

They are a pain to get to though (the bolts). One of my heat shields would not come off, but it did move enough for me to get to the manifold bolts, so it was ok. Then when I took the manifold off (from underneath) the heat shield came with it, no problem.

I needed to take the heat shield off the starter too, and that was when I should have taken the battery cable off too. I hit the hot wire going to the starter one time while taking the driver side manifold off. With a wrench I think. Sparks flew...

Are you replacing the manifolds?

If you plan to reuse them, be aware that you may break one or more studs where the y-pipe mounts to the manifolds, requiring it to be drilled out.
    \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

You can get everything off without pulling the motor or cutting anything.

It's a pain in the a$$ job, and took longer to do than putting the new headers on.

You CAN get all the heat shields off without any cutting - it just takes a lot of patience and wiggling.

Some good reading material is the Header Install guide under the Modification Reviews page:
      http://reviews.firebirdv6.com/rksport38headers.html
      -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Theres about 6 manifold bolts and heat sheild bolts. ONce you get the heat sheilds off its pretty easy. But still not enough room to move around, make sure you have plenty of wobbles and extensions, will also need deep socket and open end wrench. They are tough to get out when taken off the head, theres not alot of room to move around and pull them out. easier if you can pull off the Y pipe and take them out underneath.

Comment

Also a good idea to have a wracheting end-wrench for the nuts.
          2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Great news guys, I'm hopefully gonna get the work done fairly cheap w/an acquaintance... will let you know asap on the manifolds, Cale, you've got mail! ;)

Yeah the idea here is to replace them, but I really don't want to bite off more than I can (want) to chew.

Comment

I just installed TTS longtube headers and they were tight. It took an afternoon and I finished up in the morning. Lot of scrapes on the hands, but not that hard. The hardest part was removing old manifolds. With the headers there was much more room.

Comment

How hard was it to remove them, Dom, can you tell me more about that? My main concern was whether or not they'd be too rusted to remove at all.

Comment

They should be removable.

My recommendation to you is to go buy yourself a can of Liquid Wrench. It's like WD-40 superconcentrate. :D
                  -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DrSquirts:
                    , Cale, you've got mail! ;)
                    <hr></blockquote>

I actually didn't get an e-mail from you, but I did send you another. Soo.... Doc Squirts, You've Got Mail [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Damn Cale, I wrote you a book.

I hope all you guys are right about pulling these things off! ;)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DrSquirts:
                        How hard was it to remove them, Dom, can you tell me more about that? My main concern was whether or not they'd be too rusted to remove at all.<hr></blockquote>

The car was a 2002 so it's pretty much rust free. You would have to check your bolts first. Just remove the first one that's easy to access. They should all be in the same condition. I "think" they use "better" bolts for the manifolds. You shouldn't have problems. Just don't strip them, it would be close to impossible to drill them out.

Comment

I'm going to try and have some people look at my car tomorrow and see what they say. If worse comes to worse I'll just pay someone a flat fee to take em off and let them worry about it.

Cale - have you been getting my emails? I sent one yesterday and one today but havn't heard back (which is unusual, youre usually really good about it ;) ).

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dom:
                            I just installed TTS longtube headers and they were tight. It took an afternoon and I finished up in the morning. Lot of scrapes on the hands, but not that hard. The hardest part was removing old manifolds. With the headers there was much more room.<hr></blockquote>

Since when did 3.8L's have longtube headers available for them?
                            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:

Since when did 3.8L's have longtube headers available for them?
                              <hr></blockquote>

Did I say 3.8?
                              [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X