this could be a first.....VERY unhappy with dynomax.. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this could be a first.....VERY unhappy with dynomax..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this could be a first.....VERY unhappy with dynomax..

ive had the dynomax for about a year now and the sounds that this things makes above 5000 RPMS is truly horrible...a honda sounds better IMO..when i hit the gas and go WOT when the RPM's reach around 4500 i can start hearing what sounds like paper flappin around in the exhaust..it does it everytime i hit that RPM.. what could it be..my guess is the engine is breathing very well there and is pushin so much exhaust out that the muffler cant handle it all and something inside has been broken and is loose.. the muffler has been taken off one time when i had the 3 inch i pipe installed and has made this ****ty sound since then... when i got the high flow cat it got worse and i can now no longer bear it..

so my intake consists of fast toys ram air, whisper lid, KN filter, no maf screen and the exhaust is catco 3 inch, 3 inch s pipe, 3 inch i pipe, and then the crappy *** muffler

im thinkin i will try a hooker muffler..anyone else have one that has an opinion or a possible solution..

thanks

:mad:

I had a similar problem, can't say its the exact same though. I had a rattle in my exhaust everytime I hit a certian RPM, it was very embarassing. I never really figured out what it was exactly, but when I had my CAT replaced, the rattle went away. Im guessing it was a broken, or loose pipe.

Hope this helps.
    [*]<b>Car: </b>1991 CHEVY CAMARO RS<br />[*]<b>Engine: </b> 3.1lt (191ci) V6 - MPFI<br />[*]<b>Stereo: </b> Alpine 7995 H/U | Eclipse 21000 EQ | BOSS IQ 3000w Amp | Crossfire AB 400watt Amp | 3 AudioBahn 12\" D/V Subs | Planet Audio 4x6\'s & 6x9\'s

Comment

The Hooker Aero Chamber muffler should work well for you. What you described the sound of is exactly how my Loudmouth sounded. Just Godawful.

Scott

Comment

Yup a rattle could definitely be a bad cat. Similar to what digitalBee described happened to me. That could be a cause of your poor exhaust note at high rpm's.
        Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
        "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
        http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

I've had a Dynomax Super-Turbo on both my '94 3.4L Camaro & my current '01 3.8L car, & I never had a problem or complaint about either one. I had a problem w/a bad stock cat on the '94, which I replaced w/a Catco & everything was fine. Keep in mind it's not going to sound like a V8, & at high rpm it's going to lose alot of it's 'quality'.
          2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

the catco has about 5000 miles on it..i dont think its that..i think its the muffler is rusted out or something inside. the catco was purchased new and im pretty sure the muffler made this noise before the new cat was put on

im leaning toward the muffler right now

Comment

Good thing about dynomax is that the muffler has a lifetime warrenty. Take to a shop that deals with dynomax and telll them what is happening and they should replace the muffler for free. Now the muffler will be free but not the labor.
              2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7 litres of raw power!!<br />Nothing but a 6!<br />Do you know for sure? John 3:18

Comment

The shipping for replacing it also won't be free, and you generally have to have filled out a registration thing for it to be able to replace it.

Anyway, it could be the cat, but it could also be that your exhaust shop messed up the muffler (broke a wall inside it or something along those lines) when they took it off to replace the Y-pipe. It's not unheard of.
                -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Do you have the race-welded muffler?If so I don't think there's anyhting in there to break.It just has a Y-pipe surrounded by fiberglass.Does it actually sound like something mechanical broken or does it just get that crappy popping that all V6's seem to get.I know my 3.4 sounded MEAN at idle and lower RPM's but got sort crackly coming down from a WOT run.Either way,just call or e-mail Dynomax and they should replace the muffler.It's stainless steel so I don't think it rusted but you never know.Good luck.
                  Kevin
                  1998 Black Z28<br />1995 Black 3.4 (@#$$%* ex took it!)<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/nikkev1/lst?.dir=/New+Camaro&.view=t\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.scfyb.com/phpBB2/\" target=\"_blank\">Carolina Board</a>

Comment

i have the dynomax super turbo muffler.. when i get on the gas and the RPM gets above 4000 it makes a sound like it there is paper in the exhaust. its that buzzing/resonance sound like there is something loose in there

im stumped..i really dont want another dynomax.. i think i might try hooker but if dynomax will send me a muffler to replace mine i would gladly take it and sell it to someone else :D

Comment

its not a normal sound, Ive heard it, its a nasty resonance/buzzing sound...

Comment

well, i hate to kinda sound like i'm putting anyone down...but i have a single in/out magnaflow which sounds incredibly good at all rpm's. really smooth all the time and very healthy, deep, rich sound. i get good hp gain, about the most any $$$ muffler sys would get ya. my friend bought an edelbrock for pretty expensive and his makes the same noise ya'll are talking about...very annoying...very crappy. anyway, most fbod owners like the dual look, especially firebirds, cause they make the outs for dual on the car. but what i did is i had the muffler shop cut off my tip way back close to the muffler so it looks like i have no tip whatsoever. pretty sweet. $120 to install the muffler + the actual muffler and then another $30 for cutting the tip off...so $150 muffler sys that sounds the best i've heard yet vs. the $300+ ya'll are getting, i'd say go with a magnaflow dude.
                        2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Only4u: I'd be interested in hearing your exhaust, do you usually cruise 82nd or what?

I've got a blue 99 camaro with a SS hood and a single out flowmaster dumped, number 3 on the back window...

Holler at me and let me know when I can listen to your exhaust..
                          99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X