Muffler delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler delete?

Has anyone with a 3" exhaust done a muffler delete? My fricken flowmaster 80 muffler keeps causing my exhaust to break its mount points (it managed to break 5 solid welds this time). So I have gotten tired of having to get everything re-welded every 2 months and am now contemplating deleting the heavy muffler and adding a bullet muffler (or no muffler) inline with the I-pipe and then taking the over the axle pipe, running it into a Y back out to dual tips. Has anyone done this? How does it sound? Got any clips?

Also, I did a search, but it only went back to June of last year, and no one had posted any clips since.
    -Mark (aim: Eredasx)-<br />Black 01 Bird. 3\" exhaust. Eibach pros. Tokico shocks. Whisper lid. SLP CAI. LS1 DS. SLP fan switch. LSD. BMR PHR, LCAs and STB. Status: still repairing damage from punk thieves.

since ohio does not have state inspection... go for it. who knows how the police will react to it, though.

i know eric (mustangeater) cut his exhaust off and i guess it sounded okay, but it still sounded like a 3.8 [img]redface.gif[/img] he had the stock 2.25" pipe, BTW. consider putting a resonator on there instead... you would at least get rid of some of the "noise" associated with straight pipes.

Comment

Well I am keeping the cat, but that muffler is really making me mad. The shear strength on the steel rods we used (I was told) were 80lbs each. So I had about 240lbs of combined shear strength at two hardpoints. Kind of scares me how easily they were broken.
      -Mark (aim: Eredasx)-<br />Black 01 Bird. 3\" exhaust. Eibach pros. Tokico shocks. Whisper lid. SLP CAI. LS1 DS. SLP fan switch. LSD. BMR PHR, LCAs and STB. Status: still repairing damage from punk thieves.

Comment

I have the same exact muffler and I have not had any problem at all and our car goes over alot of bumps. Were the correct brackets welded correctly?
        New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
        RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
        crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
        The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Yep, the brackets hold for a little bit, but you can see the stress points forming on them after about a week of daily driving. I suspect my suspension is a bit harder than most peoples as its designed for auto-x. That is probably a big part of the problem - but not exactly one I can remove.

Comment

i would also recomend a resonator or a glass pack to lower the noise. there arent any inspections here in florida either but the cops do listen for this kind of stuff. i know a guy with a v6 mustang that just got a ticket for it. so yeah you do still have to worry about them, plus ive driven through Ohio and the cops there are total *******s imo.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

How well do dynomax 16" bullet mufflers lower exhaust noise? I may wind up installing two of those (one on each end of the post-cat Y pipe) if I can't get my exhaust fixed permanently.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33636
                99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

Would work great, except I don't have a stock exhaust by any means [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

it'll be VERY loud and prolly rhaspy if you do that.

Comment

i figured as much after doing some more searching. hopefully the shop i am taking it to tomorrow can rebuild the broken supports or put new ones in place. said they estimated 1 hours worth of work (last shop i had it to did it in 30 minutes) plus i got a 15% off coupon for the place and they seem to do a ton of work, so i figured why not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X