omfg, local exhaust shops are pissin me off - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

omfg, local exhaust shops are pissin me off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omfg, local exhaust shops are pissin me off

What the hell is wrong? Are techs getting lazy? Nobody will bend me a custom 3" exhaust! [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Atleast this last shop I went to today said: "If you bring me the 3 inch exhaust I'll install it. But all I'll bend here is a 2 1/2 inches.."

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt.

So will a 3" american thunder cat back fit for 1993-1995 Camaros? It says its LT1 specific but I dont see why not?
    Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Anything over 2.5" is a major PITA to mandrel bend.

Thats a step up from the places around me, neither the Meineke or the Monroe around me would INSTALL my catback. I still can't find a shop that will install my SFCs.
    \"Since I started working, every single day has been worse than the day before, so that every day you see me is the worst day of my life\"

Comment

Well the last guy I talked to said he wont do it because my "little V6" (he never even looked under the hood, for all he knows its a nitrous motor and I need the larger pipes) "will never fill a 3" pipe"
      Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Same here, man. My local shop said that they couldn't install a 2.75" I-Pipe. All he kept saying was "Ya can't make chicken salad outta chicken ****." I almost slapped him, because he told me that the rearward O2 sensor was drilled into the I-pipe! He kept asking me "why would you do this? How is this an upgrade?" Sometimes I wish the SOB's would just do as I tell them. Trust me man, I feel your pain.
        1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

rofl.. take your **** somewhere else then..

BTW 3" is a ***** to bend.. and most muffler shops dont have a mandral bender.. those *****es are expensive.. so you are alot better off with the catback..

Comment

Originally posted by JoshMcMadMac:
            Same here, man. My local shop said that they couldn't install a 2.75" I-Pipe. All he kept saying was "Ya can't make chicken salad outta chicken ****." I almost slapped him, because he told me that the rearward O2 sensor was drilled into the I-pipe! He kept asking me "why would you do this? How is this an upgrade?" Sometimes I wish the SOB's would just do as I tell them. Trust me man, I feel your pain.
            werd, why the fk are they worried about it, as long as you got the $$$ then they should STFU and do their job.

Comment

well the thing that pisses me off is in October they quoted me 240 bucks for a 3" catback with a Flowmaster 80 series. Now he wants me to pay 245 for 2.5" with a FloPro.. FloPro my ***, go **** yourself..

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:
                well the thing that pisses me off is in October they quoted me 240 bucks for a 3" catback with a Flowmaster 80 series. Now he wants me to pay 245 for 2.5" with a FloPro.. FloPro my ***, go **** yourself..
                what the hell is a flo pro?

you should of bish slapp him [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by bobrules:
                  not really. all you have to do is swap the cup s on teh machine. it is about a 5min swap to go between sizes usually. i have seen them do it at mufflex a bunch of times.
                  a lot of shops prolly have teh old "why puit 3inch on a V6?" mindset. i got the same crap when i had my basically stock 91RS with a 305tbi. shops are afraid taht if they put on teh system you want and it is mis sized you will trash them and they will lose business.

later
                  tim
                  NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

So enough *****ing - anyone know why this catback wont fit my car? or will it

1993-1995 Camaro/Firebird LT1, 3" mandrel-bent pipes...

From what *I* understand they are pretty much identicle underneath aside from where the y-pipe is....

Comment

Sounds like he's trying to screw you. I would find another shop. If you get them to install it and have any problems you'll prob. have a hard time getting it fixed. Find a new shop...
                      Patrick<br />Sick Sixx Member<br /><b>97 Mystic Teal Camaro</b><br />425RWHP @14PSI<br />Old setup:<br />330RWHP @7PSI 13.9 @ 106.6 <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=4\" target=\"_blank\">Mods</a>

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:

From what *I* understand they are pretty much identicle underneath aside from where the y-pipe is....
                        :mad:
                        It will fit your car, the exhaust shop is just jacking you around find another shop!!
                        2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Originally posted by njspder:
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bobrules:
                          not really. all you have to do is swap the cup s on teh machine. it is about a 5min swap to go between sizes usually. i have seen them do it at mufflex a bunch of times.
                          a lot of shops prolly have teh old "why puit 3inch on a V6?" mindset. i got the same crap when i had my basically stock 91RS with a 305tbi. shops are afraid taht if they put on teh system you want and it is mis sized you will trash them and they will lose business.

later
                          tim
                          </font>[/QUOTE]Well my buddy's dad has a shop and they have a mandrel bender and he said that for "them" anything over 2.5" is a PITA for them to get a nice clean mandrel. I have no idea what a mandrel bender machine looks like, I dunno, maybe muffex has a nicer machine then a local shop would. I've been told that 3" T304 (like Borla systems use) is an even bigger PITA to mandrel bend.
                          \"Since I started working, every single day has been worse than the day before, so that every day you see me is the worst day of my life\"

Comment

Originally posted by Timbo1969:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KBeezy:

:mad:
                            It will fit your car, the exhaust shop is just jacking you around find another shop!!
                            </font>[/QUOTE]Well I've been around to other shops. I'm just going to order that kit from Summit and have a shop install it for it. The thing I'm mainly pissed about is noone knows what they're talking about and nobody will bend a 3" pipe because having them custom made is cheaper than ordering them online. So I will be alright if I order the 1993-1995 LT1 Flowmaster catback? The I pipe and such wont be too long/too short? It'll bolt in?

Edit: this one -&gt; http://store.summitracing.com/partde...D17143&view=33

[ April 15, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: KBeezy ]

Comment

Here's my take on the subject:

They have NO say in what a customer does to their vehicle. They can express their "opinion" on the subject of 3" exhaust on a V6, but they need to remember that they are in the customer service industry. That means they do as they're told, otherwise they get the hosing! ;)

All jokes aside, ask them a few technical questions that are specific to the V6's that we have, whether they are full out ASE Certified Master Mechanics. If no, they're just a guy that installs exhaust and has no certification to stand on when they want to talk about "expertise." They do not fully understand the complexities of how all the pieces of a system interact to complete its job.

All they should know how to do is ask "What do you want done?" and how to actually do it, without further unwelcome outbursts of opinion.
                              Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X