Should the Exhaust be welded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Exhaust be welded

Well I just got a flowmaster put on and nothing is welded? I talked to my cousin who had the same car and exhaust. He said it must be welded, especially where the pipe meets the cat. Mine isn't welded. He said that I should go back and have them weld it because it will rattle apart in time. he also said he thought it was illegal to not weld that part of the exhaust. Should I go back and have them weld it all? What do you think? Also he said it will sound better welded?
    Joe<br />1995 3.4 Teal Camaro<br />80 Series Flowmaster<br />B&M Ripper Shifter<br />K&N Air Filter

Don't weld it. What if you want to change something?
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

If you like the exhaust - have it welded. It can and will rattle loose if you don't use lock washers.

I prefer a welded exhaust myself - if I like the sound of it, because it will never come apart.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Borla's aren't welded either, are they? Or is it just their tips that aren't welded?
        1998 Arctic White Camaro<br />3.8L V6 M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series with 3\" tips<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N<br />Flowtech Cutout<br />Free-Ram Air Mod<br />Blue Underbody Neon Kit<br />3 MTX 6000 10\" Subs<br />Rockford 800a2 Amp<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/jeep327\" target=\"_blank\">My Camaro</a>

Comment

I have put replacement exhaust parts on my cars since 1978. I always use clamps. What if you want to upgrade or replace your headers? What if your cat gets clogged or you want to upgrade to a high flow? What if you back in to a wheel stop and bend a $60.00 stainless or chrome tip?

If a replacement S pipe or I pipe comes in two pieces I would weld. But as far as the tail pipe to muffler connection and the I pipe to muffler conection I would use a clamp. I use the stainless band clamps rather than the standard "U" clamps because the band clamps do not crimp the connection. This allows for easier replacement of parts later.

Just trying to help.
          Dr Todd

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X