Well....crap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well....crap.

I talked to about 7 exhaust shops today and let them know my deal. Told them I am buying a Hi-flow cat, and was intrested in what installation of the cat and a larger I-pipe would run me in cost. ALL of the exhaust shops told me the same thing: The moment I put on the Hi-Flow Cat I will fail a California Emissions Test because there isn't an aftermarket Cat that will pass our emissions testing. Crap.

I also asked about setting up a larger I-pipe, and I got mixed responses: Half said I will see no difference in going from a 2.25 in. I-pipe to a 2.5 in. I-pipe and the other half said I will see some noticable difference, especially on the low end, provided I have a 3" in. Y-pipe comming into the Cat (which I think I do, unless someone else knows different). And the lowest price I found on the I-pipe + install was about $70 bucks (which I don't think is TOO bad)

AND I ordered my 160* Temp today from Hypertech, which is cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Aside from my Cat woes...that is.
    <a href=\"http://alternatebw.homestead.com/files/cam19.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">1996 Camaro 3800II Y87 A4</a> (SOLD)<p>NEW CAR:<br />2003 Ford Mustang

While I am thinking about it:

Is $70 bucks for a 2.5 inch I-Pipe and install a bad deal?
    <a href=\"http://alternatebw.homestead.com/files/cam19.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">1996 Camaro 3800II Y87 A4</a> (SOLD)<p>NEW CAR:<br />2003 Ford Mustang

Comment

$70 doesn't sound bad. As to the 2.5", up from 2.25", you'll lose a bit on the bottom end, but will be quicker through the mid and top end. You'd be amazed at how little of a change in exhaust size will change your power band. I put WS6 tailpipes on my car, that already had a Flowmaster muffler, and the stock I-pipe, etc., and it noticeably lost torque on the low end.
      As to the high-flow cat, when I was looking at doing the same to my 3.4, the guy in my town told me that no companies had CARB numbers, but then I went on Summit's website, and found one that had CARB numbers for all of their high-flow cats. So, on that one, your best bet, if you're not sure, is check the CARB website. Find the CARB number for your cat (if it has one), and look it up, and that will tell you for sure.
      Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

I had my car smogged with intake, headers, high flow cat, and a 3 inch I pipe back to a flowmaster. I passed smog. I live near Pasadena. I purchased the cat from RK Sport. I forgot what brand it is. How many miles do you have on your car? If you have over 50, I think that's the correct amount, then you can change your cat. Those shops are suppose to say that stuff. They get in trouble if they don't. Well, if they get caught they get in trouble. If you want to listen to them, well, don't do it but if you want your car to sound similar to a V8, provided you get the headers and 3 inch I pipe, do it. You have to make the choice and be prepared for the whatever the consequences are.
        1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Guardsman:
          check the CARB website. Find the CARB number for your cat (if it has one), and look it up, and that will tell you for sure.<hr></blockquote>
          Hey Guardsman, I took a look at the CARB website and it is a mess. Where did you find specifics relating to automotive modification? The search function on that site appears to be completely useless.
          \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Here is a product description from the Thunder Racing site:

"There's no need to sacrifice gobs of horsepower to meet emissions requirements. Just install a Random Technology Super High Flow catalytic converter. Random SHF converters meet EPA and California ARB requirements and feature special flow enhancing construction that minimizes mechanical restriction for maximum horsepower.
            Random Technology Catalytic Converters can be added to vehicles that were not originally equipped with a catalytic converter, or installed as replacements when required on late model emissions-controlled cars and pickup trucks."

I'm from NJ and don't know much about CA emissions standards, but it seems that you would just have to find a cat converter that states it meets CA requirements. I could be wrong though. Just trying to help.
            Pewter 2002 Z28 M6<br />Black \'98 Camaro 3.8 M5 (Gone)<br />Silver \'97 Camaro Conv. 3.8 A4 (Girlfriend\'s)

Comment

Just get a Catco cat. Randon Tech is too much money.
              1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X