Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put the Cut-Out

Hey Guys,
    I was thinking about putting a cutout on my car. Where should I put it? Before the cat? After the cat? Or just use it to replace the cat? I know that people say that I'll lose some backpressure when I put the cutout but I have a 3200 vigilante converter and I think that should compensate for it.

What do you guys think?
    Whisper Lid, SLP CAI, KN Filter, 3\" HiFlo Carsound Cat, full 3\" mandrel-bent piping, Flowmaster 80s, Casper O2 Sim, BM Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3300 Torque Converter, Corvette Servo, 3.42 gears, SLP take-off LSD, Manual Fan Switch, & 160 Thermostat.

i put mine b4 the muffler and im happy with the sound/performance i can feel a much better pull in my topend performance. After about 50 it pulls real hard. but for the best performance output you will want to put them right after the headers aka running with open headers this is also the loudest way to do it. its up to you man good luck.
    Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

I was thinking about putting it right before the S-Pipe.

What do you guys think?
      Whisper Lid, SLP CAI, KN Filter, 3\" HiFlo Carsound Cat, full 3\" mandrel-bent piping, Flowmaster 80s, Casper O2 Sim, BM Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3300 Torque Converter, Corvette Servo, 3.42 gears, SLP take-off LSD, Manual Fan Switch, & 160 Thermostat.

Comment

Maybee try getting 2 exhaust cutouts and putting them in front of the cat before it goes to 1 pipe. So you have a exhaust cutout for each exhaust manifold. Has anyone tried this?

Comment

putting one after each header would make your car really loud, but if all your gonna do is run the open headers at the track it sounds like a good idea. but if youd like to keep em open all the time it would be a good idea to put one b4 the s pipe like me. putting them right after the header yeilds the most performance also.

good luck
          Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

Best place to put it for ANY application (unless running long tube headers) is right before the I-pipe dumps over the rear axle. Not only is it illegal to run it right after the exhaust manifolds, but it will reduce your low end torque substantially. Most muffler shops will NOT do work on your car before the catalytic converter if it involves installing ANYTHING that can create an illegal condition (i.e. cutouts, gutted cats). I have a gutted cat, and when I had Meineke weld my y-pipe to the cat, they refused to do it because my cat was gutted. But oh well...

BTW typical gains from a cutout in the aforementioned position typically can give .1 .2 in the 1320, and 1.5 - 2 MPH.

Best bang for the buck mod.

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: RamAir95TA ]</p>
            Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

As posted, it all depends on what you want to do with this cut out. A friend put on on the bend right before it goes into the muffler. This way it's easy to remove and you don't even have to get under the car. He now runs around with it like this all the time though. The rest of his exhaust system is stock.

If you just want it for the track then I would say put it in the strait piece of pipe right before the cat, this would give you the best gain by far but it will be hard to find a place to do it for you. If you have a welder or know one that doesn't work for a muffler shop then that would be the way to go. Not so sure about what a dealership would say about it or the place that you'll have to get your car inspected some time. If you did this I would also suggest a motorized cut out which you can hit the switch on the inside of the car to open and close it. A friend has one on his 30th TA and it's a really fun toy. This way you can use it in town if there's not a cop within a mile or so to hear it.
              1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

I was thinking of about putting it right before the Spipe because I really want to run it open all the time. Not just for the track but for everyday use. How does that sound?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X