Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutout question

Hey Guys,
    I was thinking about putting a cutout on my car. Where should I put it? Before the cat? After the cat? I know that people say that I'll lose some backpressure when I put the cutout but I have a 3200 vigilante converter and I think that should compensate for it.

I was kind of thinking about putting it right before the S-Pipe.

What do you guys think?
    Whisper Lid, SLP CAI, KN Filter, 3\" HiFlo Carsound Cat, full 3\" mandrel-bent piping, Flowmaster 80s, Casper O2 Sim, BM Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3300 Torque Converter, Corvette Servo, 3.42 gears, SLP take-off LSD, Manual Fan Switch, & 160 Thermostat.

I'd put it before the cat,so that when its open you've got open exuast. BTW my dads '80 monte carlo t-type (turbo 3.8L) has a cutout and it sounds killer, the neibors come out looking 4 the big block lol ;)
    Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Best place to put it for ANY application (unless running long tube headers) is right before the I-pipe dumps over the rear axle. Not only is it illegal to run it right after the exhaust manifolds, but it will reduce your low end torque substantially. Most muffler shops will NOT do work on your car before the catalytic converter if it involves installing ANYTHING that can create an illegal condition (i.e. cutouts, gutted cats). I have a gutted cat, and when I had Meineke weld my y-pipe to the cat, they refused to do it because my cat was gutted. But oh well...
      BTW typical gains from a cutout in the aforementioned position typically can give .1 .2 in the 1320, and 1.5 - 2 MPH.

Best bang for the buck mod.
      Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

SO you would recommend right before the S-pipe?
        Whisper Lid, SLP CAI, KN Filter, 3\" HiFlo Carsound Cat, full 3\" mandrel-bent piping, Flowmaster 80s, Casper O2 Sim, BM Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3300 Torque Converter, Corvette Servo, 3.42 gears, SLP take-off LSD, Manual Fan Switch, & 160 Thermostat.

Comment

Actually the best spot on the 3.8 is right before the S pipe bends This would be after the cat. I agree that before the cat looses too much backpressure. I have a cutout there. I also have one before the S pipe starts so it shoots straight out. I'll try and take a picture of it tomorrow.
          Michael Huff<br />92 RS, 98 V6, 97 SS, 00 Z28 <br /> <a href=\"http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carolinafbodyclub.com/</a>

Comment

Exhaust questions belong in General Tech.. I'm moving this there now.
            Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Anyone got any more opinions?

Ironman: Were you able to take the pictures yet?

Comment

What does the 3.8 with a cutout sound like?
                <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093533\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain Page</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 97camRS:
                  What does the 3.8 with a cutout sound like?<hr></blockquote>

The one I heard sounded like a V8 at idle and reving it up, but I didn't get the chance to hear it at WOT. I just got mine in today in should have it installed this weekend.
                  <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

I have a cut-out on my car. It is installed just before the rear axle in the place where the floor makes a nice little cubby for it to fit. It is 3" diameter on my 3" I pipe. About sound, HOLY GOD IT IS LOUD!! Even on my 3.4 it sounds like an 8 at idle, and i have fooled a few people who thought it was an 8. It will get ricey at about 4000 rpms though. I love the looks i get with it though!
                    \'95 Med. Quasar Blue Camaro 3.4 A4<br />Bunch o\' mods<br /><b>10.18 @ 67.60 mph 2.22 60 ft (1/8 mile)</b> <br /><br />-1986 Camaro with a carbed 350<br /><b>8.53 @ 81.45mph 1.8 60\'</b><br />AIM CamaroL32

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CamaroL32:
                      I have a cut-out on my car. It is installed just before the rear axle in the place where the floor makes a nice little cubby for it to fit. It is 3" diameter on my 3" I pipe. About sound, HOLY GOD IT IS LOUD!! Even on my 3.4 it sounds like an 8 at idle, and i have fooled a few people who thought it was an 8. It will get ricey at about 4000 rpms though. I love the looks i get with it though!<hr></blockquote>

Is it too loud to where you can't keep it open? How does it sound at regular street and highway driving?
                      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

No its not so loud that I can't keep it open. I guess it really just depends on how much noise you can tolerate. Normally I just have it open if I'm in town going to school and such. It is loud enough to vibrate the e-brake button and the automatic shifter button most of the time. Normal driving (around 2000 rpms) it's pretty decent sounding, no rice sound at the lower rpms.
                        \'95 Med. Quasar Blue Camaro 3.4 A4<br />Bunch o\' mods<br /><b>10.18 @ 67.60 mph 2.22 60 ft (1/8 mile)</b> <br /><br />-1986 Camaro with a carbed 350<br /><b>8.53 @ 81.45mph 1.8 60\'</b><br />AIM CamaroL32

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X