catylitic converter removeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catylitic converter removeal

ON a 99 firebird 3.8l is the o2 sensor before or after the catylitic converter, in other words since i live in canada, this doesnt matter, so can i cut out my catalytic converter without screwing anything up? :D
    99 Firebird Vert, Pewter Metalic<br />Fast Toys Ram Air<br />Jet Stage 2 Chip<br />17x8 Mille Miglia Emotion II Plus\'<br />wrapped in 245/35/17 Yokohama A520<br />Rhino Perf. Exhaust<br />K&N air filter<br />check pics at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fastrides.com/members/v6birdy/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fastrides.com/members/v6birdy/</a>

Both. You should have 4 total. one on each exhaust manifold, as well as a pre and a post cat.
    1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

Ahhhhh yes, the infamous Cat Removal [img]smile.gif[/img] The only one that you need to worry about is the one that is after the cat. I dont know if you have had a chance to look under there, but here was what you might see. there will be a sensor right after the cat right before your exhaust feeds into the I-pipe. there is another sensor alllll the way up on your headers ( I believe it was on the drivers side ). The sensor directly after the cat reads the productivity of your cat converter (whether its doing its job of filtering the air) by reading the O2 to CO2 ratio. If your cat is not doing its job, in other words not filtering the exhaust and reads high CO2 levels, it'll give you an SES light on your dash. This is why you will need an O2 simulator so that you can trick your computer into thinking the cat is still there and doing its job by making it read more O2. The sensor that is attached to your headers is the sensor that detects whether you are running rich or lean, so this sensor you do not want to touch.

After I gutted my cat, my SES light came on the very same day. a couple weeks later I got myself an O2 sim, I cleared the code on my AUTOTAP, and POOF no more SES light....until yesterday my SES light came back on. but I mean its been about a month since I've had my O2 sim on with no troubles. I'm gonna scan it again to see whats up with it.
      Project: _*_*_*Knight Ryder*_*_*_<p>2000 Black chevy camaro<br />3.8L v6, AT, t-tops<br />borla adj. catback, gutted cat converter w/O2 sim, whisper intake lid, K&N filter, SLP ram air kit, 160 thermo, JET stage 2 chip, eibach pro kit springs, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, custom red and black interior<br />14.95 seconds at 90mph in the 1/4 <br />So much Rice...So little time :D:D:D<p><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com\\camarokidd10\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com\\camarokidd10</a>

Comment

CamaroKidd,

On the 2000 camaro, is that o2 sensor, after the cat convertor, considered to be attached to the cat convertor or the exhaust pipe behind the convertor?

Reason being, I am having the Flowmaster catback system and a new Catco cat installed.

I just want to ensure there is a hole set up for the o2 sensor.

Thanks.

dave

Comment

The o2 sensor is in the pipe just after the cat. Be sure you get the right Flowmaster cat back. I think there is one that actually comes with the S pipe attached to it. The one that I got did not and I had to later go with a 3" S pipe. You can call Flowmaster and ask them but not sure how much they will help. When I would tell them it's for a V6 they would turn into complete a$$es and insist that it won't work. This might be different since now they finnally made a system for the V6 but only use 2 1/2" pipe when I really like my 3" pipe.

As for the o2 sim, no garrantte that it will work, I'm struggling to get my SES light to stay off currently and I'm on my second o2 sim.
          1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

Why don't you just weld an O2 bung onto your S-Pipe?

EDIT: That question was for Ttop34 not 99firebirdconv. I know you're going catless.

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: Shadly ]</p>
            \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X