TB coolant bypass for 3.4l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB coolant bypass for 3.4l

i have done a search on this, and i didn't find anything that helped me out. so, can anyone tell me how to do this? thanks.
    94 Camaro 3.4l A4<br />K&N FIPK<br />Flomaster 80-series Muffler<br />TB Coolant Bypass<br />Power Antenna

There are two small hoses below the intake elbow. In stock configuration, the hoses are in a vertical orientation. One hose brings coolant up to the throttle body and the other returns it to the main flow. What you want to do is bypass the TB coolant passage. To do this you want to connect the hoses so they are horizontal.

For example, on the left hose remove it from the upper inlet. On the right hose, remove it from the lower inlet. Now connect the loose end of the left hose to the lower inlet on the right, and connect the loose end from the right hose to the upper inlet on the left. You may want to flip which hose goes where as one of them is slightly longer and will fit better in one of the locations.

Keep in mind that you will leak some coolant when doing this. You may want to put some towels down to absorb it so you don't get any on the belt/engine. Is wasn't a lot, but enough to think about.

Hope this helps.

Comment

does bypassing it give any performance gains?
      03 Subaru WRB WRX<br />Clear parking lights<br />Autometer Phantom Boost guage

Comment

Nothing noticable performance wise in my case, but even after a long drive, if I open the hood, the TB is still cool to the touch. Now, after you let it sit, and the heat from the block soaks into the plenum and TB, it will still get warm. So, the mod does prevent the TB from heating up, I just don't know that it is very benefitial for performance.

Comment

I've heard about people doing this and I really wonder... Does this mod hurt the TB-intake or intake-head seal? I would assume coolant flows to the TB to heat it to the same temperature as the block to make all these parts expand at the same rate. It seems that designers of these engines went through some effort to make this happen. Would keeping these parts at different temperatures cause excessive movement or stretching of the intake?
          \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Well, the plenum doesn't have any coolant in it. It stays relatively cool compared to the block and lower manifold. When the engine is off, the plenum and TB temps rise. There isn't any dramatic temp difference between the TB and plenum when the engine is running so I don't think expansion would be a problem.

Comment

the purpose of the warm coolant passing thru the TB is to keep the TB warm during cold winter times. this prevents the TB from icing and getting stuck at one position especially in colder climate states. obviously you don't need this during warmer weathers and in warm weather states, hence the bypass.

here's a dyno from a V8.

Comment

Well hell, I can't argue with that.
                \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

No gains what so ever from it. Your better off leaving it as it is.
                  94 Quasar Blue Z28<br /><a href=\"http://www.9t4z28.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.9t4z28.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.9t4z28.com/Dyno1.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.9t4z28.com/Dyno1.htm</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X