need advice on exhaust size for my longtubes need lots of opinions - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need advice on exhaust size for my longtubes need lots of opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on exhaust size for my longtubes need lots of opinions

the opening at the collector on the headers is almost 2 1/2" inside the y pipe is like 2 1/4" on the end that the two pipes go in and about 2 1/2" on the end that the cat would go on, so 2 1/4 going in 2 1/2 going out, i wanted to run 3" pipe all the way from headers back to exhaust, i would like to hear all your opinions on what size pipe to use that would give me max gains in the 1/4. starting from the size of the pipe that comes off the headers going into the y pipe and i also would like to hear the size of the pipe i should use coming out of the y pipe and going all the way back, all suggestions appreciated

Did ya finally get em yet???

Since it is 2 1/2 going out, you might as well stick with either that or even go with 3 inch so the backpressure won't have a chance to bottleneck and restrict you. I'd go with 3 inch since you have that "special" motor and it needs to breathe. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Scott

Comment

run open headers!

:D
      *MATT* <p>98 Camaro SS #1767 A4<br />Artic White<br />Not stock...<p>Former car:<br />96 Firebird Y87 A4<br />Bright Red<br />Wasn\'t stock...

Comment

I wouldnt call my motor special but thanks :D im pretty sure you have to have a y pipe on so it doesnt throw o2 sensor code. im not sure if i should go with a 3" y pipe or 2 1/2" y pipe.

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: bluecmaro96 ]</p>

Comment

i think you should go 3" from the Y collector back. like this or that, which ever fits the headers.

BTW, i'll let you know tomorrow about the 3rd gen for AIS. it's not looking good, though.

Comment

one is 2 1/4" imlets and the other is 2 1/2" inlets but both 3" outlets, i will use 3" from the outlet all the way back but what i need to know is will i get better results from having the pipes that come off the headers 3" or like 2 something?

Comment

3" is probably overkill, unless you are going the poweradder route. As far as a 2.75 cat, I don't remember seeing any when I was shopping for mine last week, but I wasn't really looking for 2.75. You can check summitracing.com, jegs.com, and magnaflow.com for some ideas on available sizing.

If you are asking if the collectors for each header should be 3", I would say no to that. If 3" is the most you would ever need for a total of 6 cylinders worth of exhaust, then you definitely don't need that much for only one side (3 cylinders).
              \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

i just re-read your original post. from what i understand, the header collectors are 2.5" out. i think you should match it and go with 2.5" in/3"out Y-pipe. 3" off the headers will probbly not help since exhaust is still coming off the smaller 2.5" collectors.

BTW, my 3rd gen idea is a no go. couldn't find one that is road worthy. sorry.

Comment

If the headers are 2.5" going to the Y-pipe, then the Y-pipe collector/outlet should be 3". I have changed my opinion about the whole 2.5"/3" topic. Nobody start and get us off topic, but it seems that it is common opinion by most who have made the jump to 3" that there isn't a noticeable power loss. So for all intents and purposes I think it can be overlooked. But my real reason for supporting the 3" is that it's simply easier to go with. After a long ordeal with Dynomax, it seems that they no longer make or stock the mandrel bent 2.5" I-pipes. Nobody else that I know of makes them. So it's simply easier to go with the 3", because going to non-mandrel 2.5" just isn't worth anyone's time or money. (I'm fine with the 2.75" pipe too, before you ask. ;) )

Anyway, just run a 3" system and see how it goes.
                  -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X