keep burnng up the cato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep burnng up the cato

I have big question, what can make a cat in our car burn up? I have gone threw 5 cats cause they burn up. WTF, they say I may be runing lean or rich or something I don't know, what can make a cat burn up cat that?

can someone help with some in put please thanks

I'm guessing but I think you are running lean.
    For some reason the honeycomb crap in the cat is being affected :(
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Random tEcH!!!!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SlimJim1284:
        Random tEcH!!!!<hr></blockquote>
        Are you suggesting purchasing the $180 random technologies cat over the $46 catco cat?
        I have had both and they are exactly the same.
        I've run:
        Ran tech 2.5 cat
        Catco 2.5 cat
        Catco 3 cat

He has tuning issues that need to be worked out
        Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
        nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
        2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
        2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

^Thank you.
          <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Raw fuel into the cat will cause premature catalyst failure. Use a diagnostic tool (Autotap) and monitor your fuel trims to see if you are running rich and that your O2 sensors are functioning properly.
            Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

Basically you have been given the two scenarios. Too lean -&gt; high exhaust temp -&gt; dead cat
              Too rich -&gt; unburnt gasoline in exhaust -&gt; dead cat
              Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

I do have a air/fuel ratio thing, and when I'm at WOT the light does go in the green rich side of the air/fuel, I've counted the number of green, It's like 2 or 3 deep in the green rich side at WOT. I think it's a tuning thing too, I'm thinking of getting a MAFT+ to see if that helps,
                what do all think, MAFT+ to lean it out at WOT.
                Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Check or change your fuel filter. If it is clogged, it can cause your engine to run to lean and melt the inside of your cat.

Fuel filters don't cost much and are a part of regular maintenance anyway.
                  97 Silver Camaro M5<br />Y87 Package<br />K&N FIPK<br />Flowmaster 80 Series<br />Mille Miglia MM11-2 18x9 wheels<br />Kumho ECSTA 275/35ZR 18s<br />Centerforce Dual Friction<br />B&M Ripper Shifter<br />1LE Aluminum DS<br />BMR LCA\'S<br />SLP 1.8 Rockers<br />ZZP UD WP Pulley<br />H&R Sport Springs<br />Spohn Adj PHR<br />160* Thermostat

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dust ya:
                    I do have a air/fuel ratio thing, and when I'm at WOT the light does go in the green rich side of the air/fuel, I've counted the number of green, It's like 2 or 3 deep in the green rich side at WOT. I think it's a tuning thing too, I'm thinking of getting a MAFT+ to see if that helps,
                    what do all think, MAFT+ to lean it out at WOT.
                    Thanks for the input guys.
                    <hr></blockquote>

you will always be a little rich at WOT. for some reason or another, i don't know why though. it's being uber-rich or uber-lean cruising that burns out the cat.
                    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Do NOT try to tune your car based on the a/f gauge. The cars have a narrow band O2 sensor that really doesn't do much. In fact, that gauge is nothing more then a light show (I know, I have one). If you're going to tune it, wideband dyno is the best, but if you have to at least used ATAP.

Chris
                      <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

Our cars go to rich under full throttle to prevent a lean condition that would cause detonation. All engines run that way under acceleration, even your lawnmower has a vacuum choke that richens when the vacuum is low, carbs have an accelerator pump to inject fuel in when you mash the gas, our cars have a computer to do all that. TPS sees a throttle change, says "we need more fuel for a bit" until the o2s catch up and say, alright, lean it back out a little. Or whatever...just a little explaination, fyi.
                        1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

cats meow and slow you down. You should still be able to pass emissions without one. Atleast its been done here in NC.

But its also illegal, so its your call.
                          Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                          "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                          http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

This sucks, well I guess the best thing to do is get the car dyno to see what the hell is going on in there or wait untill the cat goes out gain and put a stright pipe with clamps so when emission comes i can put the at back in. Oh well,

Guys thanks a bunch for the input all the input is going to help me find out what the problem is.

Comment

I have full exhaust from front to back, with milled out heads, you guys think that doing the heads might have a play in the problem? just a thought cause the guy took .002 or .02 one of the two off the deck of the heads with 3 vale angel when i got the heads done. Oh never did computer work after I got the herads done but I have one coming in from zzpreformance so i hope it may help if not man this sucks, might have to go with a stright pipe. thanks again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X