Angled Throttle Body????? Good or Bad? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angled Throttle Body????? Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled Throttle Body????? Good or Bad?

Why did GM only use the Angled throttle body on the 97 v6 Fbody and not on the preceding models?????

I thought they used it on all the 3.8's until 2000? Id imagine it doesnt hurt it any for it to be angled. I think the 98's and 99's are the ones that suffer because when you put a whisper lid on those the angle is harsh from the lid to the throttle body.
    2001 Black S10 Xtreme 4.3L A4<br />*RedLineVSix*<br />\"Throwin sparks, draggin frame\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jason:
      I thought they used it on all the 3.8's until 2000? Id imagine it doesnt hurt it any for it to be angled. I think the 98's and 99's are the ones that suffer because when you put a whisper lid on those the angle is harsh from the lid to the throttle body.<hr></blockquote>

Only affects the 98's. I know, I have one :D

Stupid GM thought it was a good idea at the time I guess. :rolleyes:

I would imagine the difference in hp is only 1-2 horsepower from the 99+ straight design. The bend is quite rough.

Comment

I have thought about this quite a bit the best I can come up with is that for the 3.8's through 98 the throttle uses a cable. in 99 they went ahead to a straight when they changed to a drive by wires system. I would really want to set mine beside my buds 96 maro and see what other differences there are, I am willing to bet that the throttlebodies are identical but not quite sure... maybe a little difference in the sensors but that's about it... might do it today when I go over there to watch the evening ballgame..
        -Brad
        98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
        2000 V-Star Custom 1100
        If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
        :rock:

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by black98V6:
          I have thought about this quite a bit the best I can come up with is that for the 3.8's through 98 the throttle uses a cable. in 99 they went ahead to a straight when they changed to a drive by wires system. I would really want to set mine beside my buds 96 maro and see what other differences there are, I am willing to bet that the throttlebodies are identical but not quite sure... maybe a little difference in the sensors but that's about it... might do it today when I go over there to watch the evening ballgame..<hr></blockquote>

Throttle bodies are not the same. And as for why it is angled - it needs to clear the hood on 96-97 cars. The TB is not angled BTW it is the intake manifold. The fact that 98 had the same angle is not surprising. It is a transition year to a whole new intake manifold. The supplier of it probably had design or manufacturing problems that delayed the product launch.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X