Bad Cat Converter What should i do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Cat Converter What should i do?

WEll i found out today my cat is SHOT. it rattles like a mother when its cold or when your pushin the gas. i FINALLY got tired of it. Ive got 2 options and want opinions.

1: all cars from 96 and up fall under a new EPA law that says that every peice of the exhaust is warrantied for 8 years or 80,000 miles. SINCE the cat is welded to the y pipe i would get a new y pipe and somehow mine has a nice dent in it so that could be a good choice.

2: just get a highflow cat and have midas weld it in for 25 bucks.

Id love to get a new y pipe since mine has a dent in it but i doubt that dent is hurting flow also i could have the cat warrantied TOMORROW while im at work so its CONVENIENT. what would you guys do?
    2001 Black S10 Xtreme 4.3L A4<br />*RedLineVSix*<br />\"Throwin sparks, draggin frame\"

My opinion is that if you are modding your car, then might as well fix things with performance when they break. I mean, if you have to have it worked on now anyway, and this is something you might want to do later down the road...

Are you sure that they would replace the whole Y-pipe just for the cat going bad?

~Brian
    NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

IM positive theyd replace the whole y pipe. The y pipe and the cat are all one peice unless you go aftermarket. Then youve got to cut the old cat off and either weld flanges onto the y pipe or cut the flange off the aftermaket cat and weld it together.
      2001 Black S10 Xtreme 4.3L A4<br />*RedLineVSix*<br />\"Throwin sparks, draggin frame\"

Comment

Get it replaced for free then go get an aftermarket one new y-pipe hi flow cat for the same price.
        2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

I agree with Blue Flame
          I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
          CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
          FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Nobody around here will even ATTEMPT to make me a y pipe i already asked around. Went to 6 different shops and everyone of them said NO.

Comment

i hear ya jason, the shops around here wont mandrel bend me a y pipe, when you say mandrel bend they just look at you like this im going to jersey this summer to get me a custom y pipe made for my longtubes

Comment

Well the new replacement Ypipe and cat were ordered today which made the GRAND TOTAL WITHOUT LABOR....1000$ with labor its 1400. a LITTLE overpriced if i say so myself, Considering you can pick up a highflow cat for what 50$? I couldnt beleive it when they told me what the total was. GOOD thing its under warranty, because if it wasnt id be taking the exhuast OFF the car and running open manifolds :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X