Headers not what I expected!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers not what I expected!!!

I got my rk sport headers put on today and after hearing it for the first time I was a little dissapionted. I was thinking that it was going to make a big diff in the sound but it wasn't that way at all don't get me wrong it does sound better but I was expecting more. I've got borla cat back slp cia and stuff do any of you guys with headers get a big diff in sound or was your reaction like mine. Also I did notince that the power wasn't all there is this because I lost a lot of backpressure? I have a stock cat some say that will help. if backpressure is the problem is what can I do to solve it.
    thanks
    look on one of the v8 boys face when he finds out he just lost to a v6 \"ha ha priceless\"<br />2000 camaro Mods: Slp cai,kn filter,whisperlid,talor spiro wires,ngk plugs, rk sport headers, 3\" Borla cat back exhaust,3.73\'s with lsd,pro 5.0 shifter,2002 Corvette wheels, lowered and 1\"1/4,painted calipers black with chrome camaro decals, hypertech programmer

My CIA headers and highflow cat didn't make a big difference in sound either.

Only power improvement I saw was slightly easier acceleration in higher RPMs.
    -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

I also had my cat removed with my CIA headers and I noticed a solid difference in the sound. While it's pretty muffled, I can still hear the valves clanging at idle [img]smile.gif[/img] I am very satisfied.

EDIT: I also had a 3" Mandrel bent S-Pipe installed as well. Not to mention by 3" exhaust after that as well.

As for power, like Racer said - in the Upper RPMS in the upper gears, my acceleration improved decently. Before I could feel the torque curve dropping off at 3-4grand as the car stopped pulling... well, now the car seems to pull all the way till 5500.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Cale ]</p>
      2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Change out that stock cat and s-pipe is my suggestion.

When I had my RK-sports, HF cat, and flowmaster cb it was loud as all heck. It sounded awesome at idle!
        Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
        "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
        http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

seppo you said to change out my stock cat and s pipe question is a have a borla cat back so wasn't a s pipe included with that? or would the factory still be there. Also I read once about losing backpressure so would changing the stock cat for a high flow one help or hurt in performance.
          look on one of the v8 boys face when he finds out he just lost to a v6 \"ha ha priceless\"<br />2000 camaro Mods: Slp cai,kn filter,whisperlid,talor spiro wires,ngk plugs, rk sport headers, 3\" Borla cat back exhaust,3.73\'s with lsd,pro 5.0 shifter,2002 Corvette wheels, lowered and 1\"1/4,painted calipers black with chrome camaro decals, hypertech programmer

Comment

3inch S pipe, 3inch Cat pipe. you will notice a huge difference in the sound. do you have a 3inch cat back?? 3inch exaust is the key to sound!!!!
            Jeff ..
            1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
            2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
            1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
            http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

S-pipe is where? So your saying if I ran 3" from the cat back the sound would be better?
              1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

On a stock cat-back exhaust, headers won't do much. if you were to do cat-back, then bigger cat, then headers, you'll notice a lot from the headers then. It depends what you put on the car and in what order you do them.
                2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Yeah I have 3" borla cat back that was the first and I just got the headers on yesterday where is the s-pipe since I have 3" cat back do I still need to get an s-pipe?

Comment

Anyone heard a v6 that has a deep tone but doesn't go to rice in higher rpms?
                    1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

Well the stock cat is super restrictive. First off it has 2 bricks of "magical" material. Where a HF cat only has one. Then on top of that it is 3 inch in and only 2.25 inch out.

I don't know enough about the borla catback to say whether ot not it came with an s-pipe or not. But the shop that installed it would have to "damage" the stock cat to replace the s-pipe with a larger one. Exhaust shops generally don't want to do anything illegal with cats.

As for a the back pressure arguement. You don't actually lose torque, the torque curve shifts. The most likely reason you don't feel any gain is becuase there is probably too much back pressure.

I can not tell you the answer, I can only point you to what I think is the answer. I know the dealership that sponsers Shirl ran some test and found she had too much back pessure after adding the Super charger. I don't know of any place around NC that has equipment to test such stuff, and I image it is costly.
                      Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                      "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                      http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

The computer they plug in under the driver side steering wheel is how they check it. I took my car too the dealer ship and they told me the sensor behind the cat tells it if it has enough back pressure and oxygen in the pipe. That is what the guy told me but I don't really know myself.

Comment

if you have a competent muffler shop they can take off that reducer and stick on a 3" s-pipe for you. i have one and my cat is fine and flows plenty for the v6 and it's stock.

oh yeah and i have the CIA headers and there was a pretty good increase in top end power.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Deuce Bigs ]</p>
                          i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

Seems like most of you jumped in with responses that didn't really follow the original question.

How much did headers alone change the sound of your exhaust? Not a heck of a lot in my case. Anyone else?

Most of the other responses have been "Do _this_ to make it loud!" or "Mine did! ...Oh, wait; I changed the rest of the exhaust at the same time..."
                            -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X