Manifolds(Headers) on the 2000+ Fbodies - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manifolds(Headers) on the 2000+ Fbodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifolds(Headers) on the 2000+ Fbodies

The 2000+ cars have different manifolds than the previous cars. A guy at the muffler shop said the factory headers on my car are "tubular" and replacing them with high performance headers(RK, CIA) won't change much. What's the difference between the tubular manifolds and the manifolds on previous cars?

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

The difference is they flow better.

Comment

The '00+ are cast-iron, too....unless another type of metal has that brown, rusty look to them now. The shape changed, but apparently not the material.

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: Fin ]</p>
      2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

I'm with fin (chris) with this one. My exhaust manifold looks like a cast iron manifold. Really rusty. It doesn't look like stainless steel either. hmmmm

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by shortdog273:
          What's the difference between the tubular manifolds and the manifolds on previous cars?<hr></blockquote>

The pre-2000 V6 F-Bodies had a "log style" manifold. Just like the name, it looks like a log running along the head with the 3 ports going into the log. The end of the log has a pipe that runs down and dumps into the y-pipe.

The 2000+ "tubular" manifolds are similar to headers. Each exhaust port has a pipe that runs down to a collector where it connects the 3 pipes into the y-pipe.
          Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

Thanx fellas. I think I'll hold off getting some headers then if that's the case.

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
            <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

think it would be a power gain to put 2000 manifolds on my 97???
              2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X