CAI- does price matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAI- does price matter?

A friend of mine just bought a CAI for his 96 3.8. Before he had this he had a K&N in his stock airbox with a K&N and removed scilencer. He went went to autozone and bought this chrome intake tube- about 3"- and a K&N air filter. IT looks almost exactly like the one at this link

http://seongtan.tripod.com

He dynoed his car and said that there were significant gains over the plain K&N and stock setup. His new setup gave him like an extra 7 or 8 hp over his k&N. This is about exactly what I got with my FIPK? how is this? Guess i wasted my $$$$, and i think his looks cooler.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

That does look sweet! Where do you buy the parts?

What's that blue thing?
    <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

the blue thing = rubber

just 3 inch chrome intake pipe + K&N

i plan on doing this when winters over, i dont wanna get sand and stuff like that in my filter.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      It\'s not forced induction if she takes it willingly

Comment

Loochy, I saw a tube similiar(maybe the same)like that at autozone for about 40 bucks today. It supposed to be the intake for the ricers though. I wonder if something like that would work on my 3.8
        <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

im sure it is possibe- will probably only require the littlest customization - youll need a new elbow

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Loochy88 ]</p>

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

by the way- where you from in st louis SHORTDOG273?

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I'm from U.City (U-Town) but now living in North County near Florissant.

Comment

dude that sucks the filter sits right in the engine bay sucking in hot air. K&N fipk or slp cai are way better than that.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by avenger:
                  the blue thing = rubber

just 3 inch chrome intake pipe + K&N

i plan on doing this when winters over, i dont wanna get sand and stuff like that in my filter.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  <hr></blockquote>

nO that big blue thing looks like the filter. Very weird color too

Comment

What's the difference between the K&N FIPK and the homemade one shown in that photo? One has the plastic tube and the other is metal I think. I don't know squat about neither. Besides, I don't think neither will fit on the 98+cars.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>nO that big blue thing looks like the filter. Very weird color too <hr></blockquote>

LOL!

i thought he meant the blue piece of rubber at the end of the pipe

didn't think he would ask such an obvious question :D
                      It\'s not forced induction if she takes it willingly

Comment

short dog the difference is that the filter sits in the compartment seperating the filter from the engine air. K&N is much longer.. That would be cool if the pipe was longer and you could put the filter out of the engine bay.

Comment

if you really wanted you could ghetto-rig it so that the filter sits down where the K&N FIPK does. Just get some tubing and figure it out... and youd still have that cool metal tube up top for all to wonder at in awe.

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by knowledgefreak:
                            short dog the difference is that the filter sits in the compartment seperating the filter from the engine air. K&N is much longer.. That would be cool if the pipe was longer and you could put the filter out of the engine bay.<hr></blockquote>

If you think about it though, at any fair speed, wouldn't there be plenty of air coming into that area of the engine bay through the headlight area.

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Loochy88 ]</p>

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X