can 3.4L SOUND like an 8?!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can 3.4L SOUND like an 8?!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone has a 3.4L which has been confused for an 8 (EXHAUST SOUND-WISE)? i know that you F-Body fans can tell the difference between a REAL 8 and a 6 with a muffler, but are there any 3.4 owners who get asked ''IS THAT A Z28?'' a lot on the streets??

What do u guys have (muffler, cutout?, CAI?, no cat?)....THANKS, just lookin for ideas.
    Black 1995 3.4

They do sound good at idle, but get on the gas and you can tell no questions asked [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RichGot6banger:
      What do u guys have (muffler, cutout?, CAI?, no cat?)....THANKS, just lookin for ideas.<hr></blockquote>

Forward headers
      Turbo :D
      3" Stainless Downpipe
      No Cat
      and 3" Borla Catback

She purrs like an 8 at idle, but sounds like a highly tuned machine under heavy acceleration. :cool:
      Chance<br />1999 Grand Prix GTP<br />*stock*<br />1993 Camaro<br />Custom intercooled turbo, BMR suspension, huge stereo, appearance mods......<br />and now most is FOR SALE! :p)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RichGot6banger:
        I was wondering if anyone has a 3.4L which has been confused for an 8 (EXHAUST SOUND-WISE)? i know that you F-Body fans can tell the difference between a REAL 8 and a 6 with a muffler, but are there any 3.4 owners who get asked ''IS THAT A Z28?'' a lot on the streets??

What do u guys have (muffler, cutout?, CAI?, no cat?)....THANKS, just lookin for ideas.
        <hr></blockquote>

All i have on my 3.8 is a flowmaster w/ dual outlet and many idiots assume 2 pipes means V8. Soundwise, at very low low low RPM's(cruising)it sounds deep, but not throaty..A lot of my buddies who dont know jack about cars asked me "Arnie, why'd u put a v6 sticker on your car?" than i break them the news that its a v6 and they say "oh crap, i thought all camaros are v8s" and/or "I thought because it was loud/2 exhaust tips, its a v8". Everyone on here knows the difference! I hate my exhaust sound cept when its realllllly cold outside. But no way in hell you get that throaty sound unless u got 8 cylinders under the hood! You can try with full cat back, bigger piping, headers etc..good luck
        2003 Fire Red Dakota R/T 5.9<p>V-Force Exhaust<br />Custom Cold Air Intake

Comment

go the spintech route trust me you won't be dissappointed. True car fans can tell no matter what.
          1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

I get mixed up for a v8 with my single outlet flowmaster as long as its under 2k.

When I have exhaust off(no I-pipe\muffler, and I chill at about 2500 RPms, the motor purrss, like a v8 people, Also sounds cool ibelow 3k, as long as I do not romp on it. BUt it is a v6, not a v8. Its extremely load, and get get annoying at times. Aslo expect cops to follow you.

Comment

Got this problem lots of times... if you consider it a problem. :)

Same as mustangeater, At ideal my car is deeper and sounds as nice as my roomates formula ws6. When I drive I shift very early to keep the rpms down and the throaty sound good.

running stock manifolds, high flow cat, flowmaster single in dual out, with hooker quad tips. Dont let anybody convince you that tips dont make it sound different.
              Andy Adamez<br />--------------------<br />3.8L 97 V6<br />Hurst Shifter w/ Home Made Handle, Hypertech 160 Thermo, Ported MAF, 5 Point Harness for Pass & Driver, Painted Valve Covers, Nitrous Express Wet EFI Kit

Comment

My 3.4 has a dynaflow muffler W/ 3" tips, and I get it a lot. I have heard nothing but positive things about Camaro owners and dynaflow. To me I think that the Flowmaster sounds a little too hollow, but that's just my oppinion. Good luck.
                94 3.4 Camaro<br />white w/black stripes<br />rk sport groung effects<br />Dynaflow super turbo muffler<br />dual 3\" tips<br />light weight clutch and flywheel<br />slp intake sensor<br />K&N filter<br />intakes in the mail!

Comment

I've got a muffler with a single in; dual out hook up and i've had people ask me if I'm runnin' a 305 in there. It's got a good, quiet, throaty hum at about 1000 rpm, but when it runs past about 2500 or so, you can tell it's a 6. But what's nice, is after hittin' 40 mph, it goes into the low thousands of rpms and it's REALLY nice, and i get a good chunk of torque after that.
                  1992 Arctic White Firebird<br />3.1L V6, TB Coolant Bypass, CAI, Turbo Muffler, other little things.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/colinobu/MyHomepage.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/colinobu/MyHomepage.html</a> <br /><br />\". . .Finger in the air and the flag still wavin\'. . .\"

Comment

oh, btw......i have a 3.1L engine.
                    1992 Arctic White Firebird<br />3.1L V6, TB Coolant Bypass, CAI, Turbo Muffler, other little things.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/colinobu/MyHomepage.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/colinobu/MyHomepage.html</a> <br /><br />\". . .Finger in the air and the flag still wavin\'. . .\"

Comment

I have a flowmaster muffler and high flow cat, no headers or new bigger piping or anything and alot have asked me if it's a V8. Just yesterday, I was at the emissions place and 4 people, 3 guys and a girl, that worked there came up to me and said they thought it was a V8 until they opened the hood. It helps having the Trans Am front bumper too. Alot also has to do with the tips that you buy, I first had 3" tips (the style you see on trucks) then I went with the 4" a few months later and noticed it was alot louder and got alot more attention. :D
                      1999 Black Trans Am A4<br /> <br />-Flowmaster with Flowtech Cutout <br />-SLP Lid <br />-SLP MAF <br />-Ported Heads, hardened pushrods<br />-Diable Sport Programming<br />-18\' ZO6 Polished rims

Comment

Sounds are subjective.

My muscle car buds think my V6 Camaro sounds rice and my rice car buds think it sounds like a V8. Splitting the difference I guess that means it sounds like a V-6.

Actually, our cars with cat-backs sound just like the infamous '86 - '87 Buick turbos (when I first got my B&B installed I was amazed how similarly it makes the car sound to an '87 Regal Turbo that I owned. Just no turbo whine.)
                        \'01 Camaro M5 1SA \"Lightweight\" hardtop, Bright Red, Ebony cloth, FRA, Whisper Lid, B&B cat-back, Torsen 3.73 LSD, HPPIII (93 octane setting)<p>\'00 Camaro SS M6 T-Top, all GM and most SLP opts., Bright Red, Ebony leather, 4.10s, SLP long tubes, Loudmouth, CNC Stage II H/C, etc.

Comment

Tips do make a difference, some resonator tip I bought at pep boys, made it alot deeper.

Comment

cutout

will make it the closest but it is raspy up top
                            1998 Jet Black Trans-am M6 T-tops<br />\"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find: knock and it shall be opened unto you:-Matthew 7:7<br />Old car<br /><a href=\"http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome\" target=\"_blank\">http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome</a><br />NEW CAR<br /><a href=\"http://garnerebel.tripod.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://garnerebel.tripod.com/</a>

Comment

southern, in my instructions itsays the scu2000 is for the 96-99 3.8 how will it work on your 3.4?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                4 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X