wisperlid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wisperlid question

I heard instead of buying a lid u can just cut off the 4 fins on the top and sand it down, and u would have a wisper lid. but what would that do for me?
    1998 black convertible camaro<br />rasied air box,free ram air , colored inter knobs,b&m shift kit, race magnum muffler, 3 1/2 crome tips, no cat,clear turn signals, custom front grill ,neons

Yeah you can, that's what I did. There's a lot more then 4 fins though... break em all off, not just 4 of em. It'd give you the same basic effect as a $120 whisper lid for free. Will basically let more air into your intake and give you better high-end.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: GrdLock ]</p>
    Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

Same basic effect....sort of. Three things different w/ the Whisper Lid. 1) No fins as you have noticed, and 2) It eliminates the air silencer (which restricts air flow) and 3) Has a wider, more circular opening, as opposed to the oval on the stock flow.

Comment

plus the whisper lid looks kewler.
        especially if you take off the gay sticker that comes on it and put a much kewler sticker on it.

from what i've read, the results are pretty much the same though.
        ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

so is it worth getting holley, slp cai, and wisper lid? cost vs performance wise?

Comment

cai and whisper lid work great together.
            holley???

using autoxray, i see little difference in airflow between K&N filter and new OEM AC paper filter. K&N is more durable and washable though.
            ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

As to the K&N filter, I definately noticed a difference in how the engine both sounded and performed.
              As to the lid, I've got a stock LS1 airlid, and I'm going to use it on mine. The difference with those is that the opening is centered on the lid, but it's almost twice as big as our stock one. Also, it's a three piece-lid, it has the main lid, then it has a rubber bellows that hooks up to the air silencer, and a piece that holds the bellows to the air lid. I'm taking the bellow and the piece that holds it off, now I need to find somebody who can do composite or sheetmetal work, and can fabricate some to attach to the lid for me.
              Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

ok im still a little confused on how to do this, could someone explain how to make it a wisper lid,and explain on how to take out the air silencer.
                1998 black convertible camaro<br />rasied air box,free ram air , colored inter knobs,b&m shift kit, race magnum muffler, 3 1/2 crome tips, no cat,clear turn signals, custom front grill ,neons

Comment

Cant make a fake whisper on a '98 because of the angled throttle body. Get a real whisper and it will be much more effective. If it were '99 or newer I would recemend doing it for free. But the angled TB makes that hard.

Comment

Same here, can't help you with the '98. Sorry. Somebody's got to know how to do it, though.
                    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Well what about a 2000. What are the steps to the fake lid?
                      Slp Hood, Raised Airbox, K&N Airfilter, 80 Series Flowmaster, Chrome 3in slash cut tips, 2% Limo Tint,Panasonic Head Unit, JL 6.5\'s in the doors, JL tweeters on the dash. Kick panels with JL 5.25 csi componet set. 2 JL12W3\'s in a probox. A JL 300/2 amp for the mids and high\'s, and a JL 500/1 for the BOTTOM. Xstatic Batcap 400(=200 farad). 18x8.5 chrome Zenetti Vegas, 245/40ZR18 Avon ZZ1\'s all the way around.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 2000 Silver Bullet:
                        Well what about a 2000. What are the steps to the fake lid?<hr></blockquote>

I had a Home Depot Lid before I bought a Whisper lid. For info, see posts in the "get rid of air silencer???" thread. I put a picture in there. Do the 4" connector thing - it really is noticeable and sounds great.

EXTREMELY EASY.
                        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

yeah, sux our (98) engine is a bit diffrent then the 99 up :/

Comment

yea it sux,

Comment

now imma have to spend 100s getting one :/ well, best to do is to get a used one i guess...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X