catback pointless??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catback pointless??

I was talking to a bunch of guys in the shop i work at and they said that going with 3" catback is pointless. There is no reason to make all the pipes from the cat back 3" if the rest is still 2.25 or 2.5. Whatever the smallest size pipe you have is how much flow your going to get. So unless you run 3" from the headers back, your not helping yourself any. Save the money and buy a good 2.5" muffler.
    97 Red Firebird W68 3.8L, T-Tops, Ground effects, Dynomax Super Tubo, Stock T/A tips, BMR strut tower brace, SLP Cold air intake

Get a 2.75" or 3 inch. You won't regret it. Muffler guys are "old school". You'll get a much better sound, torque has proved to be a non-issue (Please do search. Don't bring the torque issue up here.)plus the upgrade is there if you ever decide to do nitrous, cam, rockers, heads, etc.

I'm not quite sure what my flow rate is with 2.5" high flow cat, 2.75" I.D. i-pipe, going into a 2.5" inlet muffler, but I bet it is somewhat better than just straight 2.25" or 2.50" inch setup. Hell, you're gonna end up doing it anyways, so save some money.

Besides, if you look around, the fastest cars on this board, whether N/A or otherwise, run a 3 inch setup. :D Huh, muffler guys...all theory. :rolleyes:

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X