Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get rid of air silencer?????

hi,
    how do i get rid of the air silencer? i pullled it out and everything but now there is nowhere to attach the sensor thing.....also there is a weird set of clamps that cant be undone so i cant reuse the tubing that the sensor is in.....should i go and buy the wisper lid to i can attach the senor to it???? im confused but i did rev the engine without the crap atached to it and it sounded better and reved faster and higher.....also is it worth takeing off the maf grill thing????
    2002 Pewter a4 Camaro<br />No Mods as of yet, but this Spring:<br />Wisper Lid<br />Borla Catback<br />Holly Power Shot air Filter<br />Tranns-go shift Kit<br />Alum. or Carbon Fiber drive shaft<br />And may be in the future an LS6

First... go to home depot and get some 3" PVC pipe, and some hose clamps (to replace the ones you take off that can't be reused). Use the rubber hoses that came on it, and just stick the PVC pipe in the gap between them where the silencer was, then clamp it on. Then you can hook the IAT back into the hose. As for the MAF screen, personally I don't see the big deal, but who knows...
    Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

hey can u explian the stepson how to do that, that sounds like a good idea.
      1998 black convertible camaro<br />rasied air box,free ram air , colored inter knobs,b&m shift kit, race magnum muffler, 3 1/2 crome tips, no cat,clear turn signals, custom front grill ,neons

Comment

Home Depot has a piece of PVC, I forget the exact name that's called, but it's 3" in diameter at one end, and 4" at the other end. Get that to fit in where the air silencer went. The clamps can be replaced with regular house clamps. I would suggest a 4" clamp for the end nearest the MAF, a 3" will work, but it's a PITA to get on.
        With the PVC piece, there is a little lip inside of it to keep a pipe from sliding through. Get a knife, and cut that lip down, then sand it to smooth it, and round off the edge as much as possible (you'll see what I mean). Also, sand the edge of the 4" front part to round it off. I just did this on mine, I knew it would make a difference, but holy s*&^, it made a HUGE difference.
        As to the MAF screen, take it out. It just plugs up the air flow, and as to it's necessity, the 2002 Z28s and Corvettes don't come with the screen from the factory.
        Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

You 99+ guys have it easy just buy a straight pipe and you're done us 98 guys need one that bends down and back again. It may sound stupid but I just taped up the inside pockets of the air silencer and it has been working great for months now w/o problems.

Comment

im dumb as bricks.....is the pcv pipe...is that the same as that thing behind the dryer that connects to your wall to let the heat out? its like a foil mini tunnel...sorry to ask!
            98 firebird V6<br />3.08 gears (3.42\'s coming sson)<br />free ram air (cai coming soon)<br />80 series flowmaster<br />more to come

Comment

No, that's PVC is not the dryer exhaust stuff. PVC is an acronym for Polyvinyl Chloride. It's kinda like hard thick plastic pipe, and it's white.

1994 Blue 3.4l M5
              Eibach Pro-Kit
              KYB Gas-A-Just shocks
              K&N Filtercharger (air inlet silencer removed)

Future: Working on custom ram air, looking into dual exhaust, probably getting 1LE swaybars after exhaust.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by skEwb:
                You 99+ guys have it easy just buy a straight pipe and you're done us 98 guys need one that bends down and back again. It may sound stupid but I just taped up the inside pockets of the air silencer and it has been working great for months now w/o problems.<hr></blockquote>

Only bad thing is the possibility of sucking a peice of tape into the engine. But I did the same thing for a bit, also with no problems.

Super - Put the PVC between the rubber part of the lid and the rubber peice that goes on the Throttle Body.
                Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

I disagree with this part:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Guardsman:
                  Home Depot has a piece of PVC, I forget the exact name that's called, but it's 3" in diameter at one end, and 4" at the other end. <hr></blockquote>

I did a 4" connector, not the the one quoted above. The one quoted above will reduce the diameter of the opening going into the throttle body. The front of the throttle body is more than 3" in diameter; a 3" pipe will be a constriction.

Before I got a whisper lid, I bought the 4" connector (Home Depot part number 39923 22034 9 per the bar code). It fits fine. You have to work a very little bit with the rubber parts - but not difficult at all.

Take the rubber connector off the throttle body and take the stock air box lid off the box when working on it (so you can assemble the whole thing easily) and you'll have no problems.

Here's a picture:

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/gl...eDepotLid.html

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Everglades W68 ]</p>
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

But, if you had an LS1 motorsports lid in stead of a 3800 V6 whisper lid, the dryer stuff works just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A little black duct tape for extra stability and 2000 miles later, no problems!
                    Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

lucky 99 and ups :/

Comment

If you can't figure out how to remove the air silencer, then you have NO business doing an LS6 swap.......LOL.

Scott

Comment

lol

Comment

why would they even put that thing there? (and maf sensor too) all it does is "silence" the air? :D

Comment

The avg person does not like a loud car. So they silence it.

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

The MAF sensor doesn't silence the air smartguy. It determines the air/fuel ratio so your engine doesn't run rich or worse, lean, and blow up.

Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X