Question about the RS muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the RS muffler

Is the muffler that comes on the true RS Camaro's the same as the one on the Z-28's or is it a different performance muffler? Also, what are the inlet/outlet sizes on the muffler and is the piping on these RS's still 2.25"
    1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

I had a true 2002 RS. It was different from the Z28 muffler, it was made by SLP and gave an extra 5 hp so the RS was rated at 205 hp. The piping size I believe is 2.25. It isn't too loud but it isn't as quiet as a stock muffler. I liked it and will sell it since I dont have anymore Camaros. It had about 2k miles on it. I will sell it for $30 plus shipping if you are interested. I also have black Z28 tips that came stock with the car and will sell those for $20.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

I am looking more for a 2.5" inlet/outlet for the muffler and 2.5" I-pipe. As of right now I am going with the Dynomax Super Turbo, but if I didn't like that I was thinking about maybe a RS or Z-28 take off, but if the RS is 2.25" then I would do the Z-28. But how did the muffler sound? Was it loud enough for someone sitting next to you at a redlight to hear your idle? Deep or raspy?
      1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

if youre looking for something that will make some noise, you will be disappointed with any stock v6 muffler. (at least anything from 96-97)

I believe that the later RS camaros (2001-ish) did actually have the Z28 muffler. Im not sure that it was made by slp, but i could be wrong. This car and driver article seems to agree:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

It supposedly is good for 5hp (who knows?) and it will be slightly deeper, but nothing like a flowmaster, or a loudmouth. And you can get a flowmaster for about 80 bucks and an I pipe off a Z for about 20 bucks.

This page also seems to confirm that it is just a take-off v8 muffler:

SLP is also going to offer V6 packages for the Camaro and Firebird, which will be known as the Camaro RS and Firebird GT. Along with some visual cues, the V6 cars will come with take-off V8 exhaust systems from the Z28 and Trans Am/Formula, which SLP says will add five horsepower to the 200-horse 3.8-liter motor. Optional will be 16x8-inch SS or Firehawk-style wheels and a suspension package that uses standard V8 front and rear antisway bars in 32 and 19mm sizes, respectively.
        http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...1/article.html

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I was just wondering if a Z-28 take-off will sound deep throught the RPM range because it is quieter than aftermarket systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymatic:
            I was just wondering if a Z-28 take-off will sound deep throught the RPM range because it is quieter than aftermarket systems.
            I had a Z28 take off on mine, it sounded like crap. I wont give my opinions on what exhaust to get as I'm sure there are mixed opinions here and you'll get more than enough from everyone else.

But yeah I have a 97 RS and the pipe size was 2.25"
            1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

My RS muffler is made by SLP.
              2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

I got a question, did slp do anything performance wise to the 96-97 rs camaros or was that just to the 2000 up versions?
                97 Camaro RS<br /><br />\"Just a V6 huh?, let\'s go find out how slow it is\"

Comment

You won't be disappointed with the Dynomax.
                  98 Camaro V6

Comment

I junked my SLP muffler about 3 weeks after getting the car & got a Borla.

In my opinion, the RS muffler was junk.
                    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X