OK....time to figure this out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK....time to figure this out

ok...what causes the sound of the 8. size if the cylinder? Lope of the cam shaft... just the fact that their is more physical metal in the 8 rather than the six... the only way to get the sound deep is to fig out why its deep. ok guys, idea's?
    99\' Camaro v6 T5- SOLD<br />2004 VW Golf TDI

ive wondered that too becuase v10's sound like six cylinders, so the bigger cant explain it....the bore size cant either because even the tiny 287 SBC's sound mean...
    <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

same thought here. we know that a better cam makes it deeper, and if thats true, heads have to help... i think it has to do with the duration of the opening and closing of the valves...

Comment

longer duration = lower frequency, I'm thinking the heads have a large effect like you said, larger = deeper? Tiago's turbo'd car sounds like an 8, especially at idle.
        \'94 Firebird, 3.4 M5.<br />Arctic white w/ red anniversary stripe. ASP underdrive pulley set, Magnaflow 2.5\" stainless catback, CAT, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK2, 1000 watt stereo system capped 1F, Eagle Alloys 16\" 077\'s, 180 Deg. Thermo.

Comment

lots of things...

a big part is the firing order... perfect example... V10 sounds like ***... 3.4L sounds kinda nice, and a 3.8L sounds like ***...

Comment

He's right firing order has alot to do with it.
            Thats what mustang owners say too.
            I think its why Lt1s sound better than LS1s.
            1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
            1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

yeah, yesterday I testdrove a 2001 firehawk with the slp loudmouth exhaust and I wasn't that impressed with the sound, I have heard much MUCH better sounding stock v8s. Firing order does make a difference.
              98 White T-Top Firebird<br />w/ the crome 5 star rims<br />FRA, Smoothed stock lid,<br />Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111</a>

Comment

Yeah because a Viper was toying with me on I-91 a few weeks ago. I got on it a little bit because I wanted to see this thing in action. He took off into the horizon. I expected the loudest deepest sound ever but in fact it sounded like the loudest civic ever!
                <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/camazoic\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/camazoic</a><br /><br />Interest:Sports,Cars,Sport Cars,Sports with Cars in them, and using my Car to Sport(obselete meaning) in.

Comment

Ok, so explain to me how it would have to do more with firing order rather than the duration of the valve opening

Comment

Exhaust for our 6's is so difficult. For the size of our six-cylinder we are just in the middle of the ricey sounds of a small six, and the somewhat deeper sounds of a bigger six. That is why ours has so much of a mix and a little of both. Since August I have been researching and figuring out which exhaust I want to go with. Now if I had my dad's old 4.3L V6 Monte Carlo I'd be all set... although it was wimpy as heck because it was from the 80's and the time of all that fuel eficiency controversy.
                    1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

well other than the exhaust itself... what specifically about the ENGINE creates a deeper tone... if its close to the smaller of a six that jaymatic is talkin about then that would meen that the 3.4 would be higher pitched... so for from what i have read/heard, this isnt the case. so it has to be something OTHER than displacement.

Comment

For one thing, 60* motors idle amazingly smooth. Look at a Northstar powerplant. I had a 3.8 Monte Carlo, sounded just like a V8. 90* Motors make more of a "V8" sound. Firing order, valve duration and overlap all come into play. I've herd Fart cans on Eclipses sound REALLY nice. I hate import exhausts too. An uncorked 3.4 sound really mean (dual cut-outs).
                        MODS:<br />3.4,Crower cam, K-motion valvesprings, Heddman Longtubes, BBK AFPR, Accel Coil, 36mm/23mm Sways, Boxed LCAs/Panhard bar, Mutant Nitrous wet kit, Mr. Gasket Cutout, 10.02 1/8 mile at 67.2 mph UNTUNNED no spray

Comment

btw, jaymatic if you have a 3.4 i highly recommend a Magnaflow cat-back (2.5"). Smooth, deep, then when you get on it it sounds like a ****ing 12 cyl.!! (test out in one of those tunnels by an airport) :D

as for the sound, I think its a combination of firing order, how the cam operates the valves, and the style of the heads.
                          \'94 Firebird, 3.4 M5.<br />Arctic white w/ red anniversary stripe. ASP underdrive pulley set, Magnaflow 2.5\" stainless catback, CAT, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK2, 1000 watt stereo system capped 1F, Eagle Alloys 16\" 077\'s, 180 Deg. Thermo.

Comment

I have a 3.8L. Next weekend I am going to buy the Dynomax Super Turbo and have a 2.5" I-pipe made and installed by Meineke. From what I've heard the Super Turbo on the 3.8 will be the best sounding through the RPM range, but I heard this from guys who had some mods and my car is stock. But thanks for the suggestion.
                            1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

Oh, I forgot to put this in my message just above. For you 3.4L guys Check this site out. At the bottom are sound clips. I don't care for flowmaster but his exhaust sounds good. He also has a modifications list if you want to check to see what he has and maybe compare it to yours. The clip has some popping in it but that could be bcause he took the clip the day the exhaust was installed so the engine might not have been used to it yet.

http://www.geocities.com/pnlt_kck/blkmjctwo.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X