First mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First mod

Right now im looking into getting my first mod for my car..im in high school so money is kind of an issue. i'm either going with an SLP intake or exhaust...my friends are trying to convince me to just get my exhaust custom, they say it will be easier and the same quality as the edelbrock or american thunder im looking at. Is this true? will getting custom exhaust really save me money without sacrificing quality? And should i go with intake or exhaust first?

Exhaust. it'll just look so much better have 2 outlets compared to the single turned down that you have now. You wont gain much by going with a custom exhaust over one of the many ones out there.
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

My advice is go with your intake first. And when you get the money to do you exhaust just go ahead and get a premade system.
      2002 M5 camaro- VTR CAI, custom cat-back exhaust, battery compacitor, pullie, lowering springs, 32mm sway bar, cross-drilled slotted rotars. 1-10\" L7 in cubby.

Comment

I agree with ender...intake first...then exhaust. Thats what I did and I couldn't be more pleased. I got a whisper lid and K&N filter first...which is what I would suggest for a first mod...you can definatley feel the difference, and the swooshing sound of the air going straight into the TB is really cool to since you're not used to it. Thats my suggestion anyway. Then I did CAI and THEN I did a borla cat-back exhaust. The exhaust isnt really used to its full potential without a good intake. Plus you can get mods for your intake generally cheaper than exhaust mods.

PS:intake mods are way easier to install than exhaust

[ November 12, 2003: Message edited by: FloydSummerOf68 ]</p>
        Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

INTAKE!!! And yes, get a custom exhaust from a GOOD shop! Tell them what you want and tey'll do it no questions asked......at least that's how it works around here :D
          <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28</a>

Comment

If you do custom exhaust make sure all the piping is mandrel bent...a lot of shops try to work around that and just say that its some sort of performance pipe or something...you NEED mandrel bent.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FloydSummerOf68:
              If you do custom exhaust make sure all the piping is mandrel bent...a lot of shops try to work around that and just say that its some sort of performance pipe or something...you NEED mandrel bent.<hr></blockquote>

This is a must.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

thanks for the responses and all the advice guys....where can i pick up a whisper lid at? never heard of or even seen this mod before :rolleyes: . So i'm thinking CAI then a good custom exhaust- mandrel bent =P What's a good price for CAI? i saw one on a catalog i have for $180..is this a good price?

Comment

gotta disagree with you on the necessity of a mandrel bend, Floyd... unless you're running 50,000:1 compression a regular bender than any shop has will be fine. you're not actually decreasing the size of the pipe in a bend like that; it just kind of flattens out a little bit. no big deal, especially if you're running 3" tube anyway.

again, opinions. i think i'm going to put something in my sig about that! :rolleyes:

Comment

Yeah you could be right about that. I dont know for a FACT that mandrel bent is better, I've just always heard that it was definatley the way to go...ya learn something every day :D

PS:...but just to be safe I'd still get mandrel bent :cool:

[ November 13, 2003: Message edited by: FloydSummerOf68 ]</p>

Comment

I went with exhaust first on the 94 Camaro I had. Meineke put on a Flowmaster 80 series muffler with dual chrome tips for $110. I think you'd like having the exhaust first. It gives a great sound, noticeable power increase, and the dual exhaust looks great.
                      2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

Have you guys ever seen a y-pipe of an LS1? Look at the driver side, its almost flattened out till air cant get past it. GM did that for clearance issues. Mandrel bent is a little better but unless you are running heavy power booster(supercharger, turbo, or nitrous) a regular bend will be just as good.
                        2001 Camaro A4<br />Maroon Metallic <br />Y87,Monsoon 500w,TTops<br />Appearance: Silver ZR1s w/ 275\'s<br />Intake: !Air Silencer, FRA Mod, k&n<br />Exhaust: 3\'\' Cat, 3\'\' B&B TriFlo<br />Misc: SLP Fan Switch, 1LE Boxed LCAs <br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mshapiro\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/mshapiro</a>

Comment

I would say go with the exhaust first and deffinately get mandrel bent. The reason i say you should get mandrel bent is you may want to go forced induction down the line and the you would really want the higher flowing exhaust. Just do it right the first time and you will be happy. as for intake do all the free mods first and see how you like them (free ram air mod, and the PVC insert mod). they help out a little and they cost about 3 dollars to do both.
                          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X