Hi-Flow Cat or Cut Out for LOWER ETs!! Need Help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi-Flow Cat or Cut Out for LOWER ETs!! Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Flow Cat or Cut Out for LOWER ETs!! Need Help!

I'm done a search but I can't really find a good answer. Here's the situation. I want to get a cable operated cut out for the track and for show off purposes, but my dad think I should get a hi-flow cat for better all year performance and fuel economy. I told him that the hi flow cat on a V6 doesn't make a whole lot of difference and on top of that it would cost over $100 for the cat and install. So, should I go for a cutout for a lot of power for a little time or a new cat for a little power a lot of time?

[ March 26, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: BradC ]
    1993 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 A4<br />F41 RPO suspension option<br />119K miles<br />Fastchip<br />K&N \"Filtercharged\"<br />Airbox cuttout CAI<br />ASP underdrive pulleys<br />Pacesetter Headers<br />Flowmaster 80 Series 2.75 cat-back<br />MangaFlow Hi-Flow Cat<br />Corvette Servo<br />16.4 @ 81 MPH

why not just go with both? that way you have the Cat for better performance all the time, then when you're at the track you can really open that ***** up. even though that'd cost a little more, but that might be an option too. you can find cats and cutouts here for pretty cheap if you look or ask.

Comment

I can get a cat on eBay(of course) for $40. I just need to know if it's going to make a difference in performance comparible to a cutout.
      1993 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 A4<br />F41 RPO suspension option<br />119K miles<br />Fastchip<br />K&N \"Filtercharged\"<br />Airbox cuttout CAI<br />ASP underdrive pulleys<br />Pacesetter Headers<br />Flowmaster 80 Series 2.75 cat-back<br />MangaFlow Hi-Flow Cat<br />Corvette Servo<br />16.4 @ 81 MPH

Comment

both, I might get a cut out this summer and I already have a cat bypass. Gave the car a nice kick in the pants with the flowmaster cat back
        \"I\'m going to torment you beyond the end of time, and hit you with a steamroller!\"

Comment

Originally posted by 2002firebirdguy:
          Gave the car a nice kick in the pants with the flowmaster cat back
          You mean with the cat bypass?

Comment

I can't get both right now. Which would give me more power? Surely somebody tried them both...

Comment

If you have the stock cat I would definitely replace it...

I owuld not get one of the crap ones on ebay, I woudl get a CATCO... I have heard peopel have problems with the ebay ones.

Comment

I'd do a cut- out over a high flow cat. There are various catalytic coverter makers. Catco, Carsound, and Magnaflow to name a few.
                2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
                  If you have the stock cat I would definitely replace it...
                  Why? Wouldn't the gains from the cut out outweigh the gains from a hi flow cat? That's all I need to know, really... No one can give me a straight answer. I'm going to put the cut out before the cat so it doesn't matter. I just need to know which would give a lower ET, plain and simple.

Comment

I'm about to do something about my cat as well. Electronic cutouts are nice but it's still not the best flowing because of the downward angle. I'd go with a removable straight pipe with a flange on each end so you can swap in the cat when it comes time for inspection. Costs MUCH less than an electric cutout and is at least as effective as one. Of course you could always just use a regular cutout for near the same effect and still have to crawl up under the car to pull off the plate.

So if you've got the money and are lazy go with the electric cutout. But if you're like most of us, broke *** college kids, just do a cutout or straight pipe.
                    2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

you could just elimintate it, put a pipe there u can do the work urself and itll cost 10 bucks just need a pipe and two clamps...saw zalls are nice to do the job............oh ya if u do decide to that its not legal for road use so dont say ya did it but im pretty sure its legal for offroad use so u could always claim its a track car
                      94 Pontiac Firebird-V6<br />-NxWetKit,RamAir,MSD Dis4, Coils,&Wires,DynomaxExhuast w/testpipe,NittoDR\'s&DunlopSPort5000s,17\"CrEagleAl loys,TransgoShifKit/VetteServo<br />91 Jeep Wrangler-5.7 Chevy350<br />-6\"ProComp SuspensionLift,M/T BajaClaws35x12.5,& more goodies

Comment

If I took the cat out wouldn't that mess the car up? aren't there sensors in the cat?

Comment

!cat and cutout is the best for drag racing.
                          Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                          "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                          http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

So if I do the cut out before the cat it will be in effect !cat plus the cut out! Alright!! Assuming the in/out on the cut out is 2.25in, will it fits between the y-pipe and cat?

Comment

I believe the in is 3" and the out is 2.25", at least it looks that way on my car.
                              2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X