Is This Safe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Safe???

Today I unbolted my muffler and it sounds awsome without it I am thinking that It would be safe to leave it off but I dont wanna mess up any internal engine parts $$

The reason why I ask this is because I have about $400 dollars to spend and don't want to waste it on exhaust if I could be happy with no muffler hehe I would rather get tint and blackouts =D

Thx
    Black 1996 Camaro 3800 Series II with tan leather seats<p>Modifications: K&N Filter, 2 12\" Power Acoustik, 1800 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, 600 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, Custom Box, White Gauge overlay with switch, Custom Interior

Have you tried driving it around with no muffler? I imagine the drone would be horrid. As for safe I don't see how it could hurt anything, other than your ears probably.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

my car is insulated so I can't really hear much :D
      Black 1996 Camaro 3800 Series II with tan leather seats<p>Modifications: K&N Filter, 2 12\" Power Acoustik, 1800 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, 600 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, Custom Box, White Gauge overlay with switch, Custom Interior

Comment

Anyone know if it is legal to run no muffler I don't have to pass emissions but if I get pulled over will it be legal if I add some pipe and tips ???

Comment

most states subscribe to teh federal volume limt of 95db under partial load.
          most of the variation is actually from local townships writing their own noise laws.
          as long as a car passes teh sniffer there isn't much else that can be said to you in most areas.

later
          tim
          NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

more than likely if you get pulled over without a muffler, you will get in trouble. if you got 400 to spend, you dont gotta spend all of it on an exhaust system. People in the forsale section sell new ones sometimes for like $250. But its all about personal preferrence. I never liked the sound of a car without a muffler because it gets really poppy and high pitched. If you got an aftermarket exhaust system it may help reduce some of the high pitch that our V6's make, and make it a LITTLE deeper. just my $.02

Comment

post a sound clip of it!

Comment

How do you unbolt your muffler? I thought they are welded on
                98 White Camaro

Comment

Well if you like the appearance of no muffler thats up to you. I personally think it makes the car look pretty bad with no tips underneath.

2nd, if you ever do get pulled over you might get fined depending on the laws of your state.

3rd, i'm not trying to be rude here, but truthfully it's people like you who give states a reason to have emission laws or run stricter ones when you want to run no muffler, or gut out your cat, to sound loud and obnoxious. Just wait and see what the laws are going to look like in a few years after everyone and their brother is done gutting out their cats and running straight pipes.

Just let me ask you one thing, is it really too much to put a cutout right before your muffler on the over axle? It's only like what? $30 for a cutout and like $30 more to get it welded on.

Comment

Im gonna put it back on so Ted no need to worry getting a Texas Speed Rumbler for my birthday

Comment

its agsinst the law but I woudl not say it sounds good... maybe ok below 2,000 rpms I relaly miss my 3.4L :(

my exhaust is unhooked above the crossmember thingy...

I tested it behind my car full rev, only a puny 105 decibels...

Comment

i did the same thing one time just to see what it would sound like. the pipe slips off in the middle of the car and the only thing i would say isnt safe is that i noticed alot of heat coming from it. i could feel it when i touched the floor board. thats the only thing i could think of. everyone else as gottin the ticket/law thing.
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X