Hopefully Headerless!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully Headerless!!

I have a 2001 with the "tubular" exhaust manifolds. I haven't had a chance to check them out real close yet but they seem to be a rather large improvement over the older cast iron manifolds. Does anybody know if they flow as good or close to headers?? I would rather not have to deal with all the headaches associated with headers and y-pipes leaking etc. My plans are to keep the factory tubular manifolds, install a good free flowing cat and then a Borla cat back for the rest. Also thinking of a custom Y-pipe as the factory one looks pretty scrawny.
    RD in AZ<br />2001 V6 Camaro, A4, Mystic Teal<br /><a href=\"http://www.azfba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.azfba.com</a><br /><br />Mods so far:<br /><br />Brand new wiper blades... Hah!!<br />T/A Diff Cover and Stud Kit<br />\"Dremel\" modified factory lid with K&N filter

headers will mostly benefit the sound of your car more than anything. If a deeper throatier sound is worth the headaches then get the headers
    2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

Comment

what about if you dont have tubular manifolds? like my 97 i believe doesnt? what kind of gains would i see?
      1997 Camaro<br />17x9 Chrome SS wheels, SLP CAI, Magnaflow Catback,<br />High Flow Cat, Blacked out Lights, 20% tint, AUDIO: 1600W Kenwood eXcelon Amp, 12\" Kicker L7, 1 Farad Cap (Recently STOLEN),<br />H&R Springs and KYB AGX\'s,<br />Billet Grille

Comment

anything with your exhaust will not give you massive gains. you might see 5-7 rwhp with headers and prolly wont be able to notice a difference. i personally dont own headers i just know from experience and seeing other peoples car that headers are mostly for sound.
        2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

Comment

i went from 2000 manifols to headers but i cant tell you anything cause i put on my whole exhaust system at the same time. but anyways. the only difference from the round manifolds to headers is sound really
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
            i went from 2000 manifols to headers but i cant tell you anything cause i put on my whole exhaust system at the same time. but anyways. the only difference from the round manifolds to headers is sound really
            Same primary pipe size and length. Y-pipe the same size and length too?

It's a weight reduction mod too. My headers weighted half of what the logs did. Comparing to the logs the headers looked like longtubes even though they are shorties.

Comment

they are longer than stock and yes they wheigh less. but performance..... 1hp or so
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Well it must have done something for me then to get headers. I picked up 2mph and lost .1(+.1) after getting headers/skinnies. I ran in the summer with them and the previous run was last fall when it was 40 outside. So if James' .5 theory proves true this fall then I should have picked up .4, .3 of which would have been from headers. Also my previous run was on empty tank with open y-pipe. This run was on 1/2 tank with the full exhaust on. So alot more weight. I guess we'll see in November.

Comment

i serously doubt they will give you anything noticable.. maybe a 1-5 hp.. IMHO dont waste your time.. cause those are a PITA to take in and out..

its aftermarket or nothing IMHO..

Comment

you really notice the gains on the top end of the car, in my 5 speed if i had the cuse set it was dog trying to pick up a few MPH on the highway but after the haeders it was alot better, let to motor breath. but i have a 1997 so........
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

headers give you more power under the curve meaning you will have more power through out the powerband. they might give u 5- 10 horses at peak but sometimes 15 horses average through out. and a nice torque increase also.
                      96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

You guys are talking about the difference between the pre-2000 cast iron manifolds, he said specifically that he had 02 TUBULAR MANIFOLDS. The difference in performance between the tubes and the headers we have available in the aftermarket is very minimal, it'll only change the tone of your exhaust and make it louder (which isn't always a good thing since cops love to ticket us anyways). I say don't waste your money, the tubular manifolds flow well enough to support double the stock hp of your 3.8L V6, so until you go over that save your cash for some real mods (cam, heads, etc).
                        2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

Hey blldogg, you wouldnt happen to still have and be willing to sell you 00 manifolds and y pipe would you?

[img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]
                          2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

i thinnk if you were to cahnge the y pipe to a better design and diameter to stock ( the factory one has dimples in it) then throw to gether your exhaust like you want it you would be better off and not spend near as much money
                            no fate but what we make<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X