SLP airlid installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP airlid installed

Finally got the lid a couple days ago...it was a pain in the *** to install. For the '98-99 f-bodies, there's a plastic plug that need to go into the side of the lid ('00-02 LS1's came with a sensor or something in their lid). Problem is, the plug is just a tad too small to fit into the hole. After calling in the reinforcements (a hammer and a screwdriver) i finally got the damn thing in.

Next, it was time to remove the old lid, and change the ducting. The ducting i had on had torn again, near the airbox outlet, but i held off on replacing it until i got the SLP lid. i had to go with a shorter length this time, because the SLP outlet sticks out farther. also, since the lid is designed for V8s (with their straight TBs), i had to fight to get the ducting to stay in the right place without slipping off the mouth of the lid. I finally got the ducting attached to the lid, and put the IAT sensor in the hole on top of the lid outlet. the SLP lid is slightly higher than the stock lid, so it fits tighter when the lid is clamped down. i started the car up, it ran fine. took it out for a lil test drive, and all i can say is wow....it does actually make a noticeable difference over the stock lid. it pulls harder, and i noticed that the powerband seemed to go further into the high RPMs. it also sounds different, louder and deeper than the stock lid/ducting combo. it also looks good, with the SLP logo heat-stamped onto the black lid in contrasting white. i'm quite happy with my purchase, i'll get pics up as soon as i can.
    \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

I found an easy way to get that little black rubber plug in the air lid....... heat it up in the microwave for about 30 sec.

I love my SLP cold air intake and Whisper Lid
    New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
    RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
    crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
    The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

There was an article I saw just a few weeks back in Car Craft, Hot Rod or something. It rated the SLP as the best one, for the V8, in terms of ease of installation and quality of fit and finish. I got the Whisper Lid and it fits good, but yours looks better. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Originally posted by F1GT:
        There was an article I saw just a few weeks back in Car Craft, Hot Rod or something. It rated the SLP as the best one, for the V8, in terms of ease of installation and quality of fit and finish. I got the Whisper Lid and it fits good, but yours looks better. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        by a long shot...the whisper lids' logos look kinda cheap, both the "LS1" and "3800II".

that article, BTW, was in Super Chevy's "Camaro Performers" magazine. they tested SLP, Whisper, MTI, G2, Granatelli, QMP, and Texas Speed's lids on a '00 Z28, with a locked PCM to keep it from adjusting itself. They had dyno graphs, ETs and trap speeds of each, as well as the appearance, installation, etc. I took the best consistent dyno runs from each, and found out that the SLP lid made the most power (in both horsepower and torque). That's what made me decide to get it. I actually emailed SLP asking if the lid would work with the V6s, they told me no. I'm going to take pics and send it to them to prove them wrong.
        \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X