Should I install my new exhaust myself? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I install my new exhaust myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I install my new exhaust myself?

I have a new catback exhaust showing up here in about 2-3 hours from UPS. I have been debating on whether or not I should install it myself. I'm almost positive that I wouldn't have any problems installing it other than a couple things.

1. How hard is it to get off the old exhaust? Do I have to cut it off, I don't really have any thing to cut it off other than a hacksaw. What should I use? I would be willing to purchase a tool if it will make it significantly easier.

2. Is there going to be any problems when it comes to attaching the exhaust to the cat? Do you think I'll need any adaptors? I'm totally clueless about this because I haven't done it before.

BTw, I am getting the Magnaflow 3.8 catback(2.5 in) and I am upgrading from the stock Y87 exhaust. All help or tips will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Alright, I decided I am going to do it myself tonight. What should I use to cut my exhaust, I cut it before when I did my header install but that was a total PITA with a hacksaw. Anyone have any tips that's done this before, I'd appreciate it. And I guess it's 3 in, not 2.5
    - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

get a sawzall. they work wonders.
      \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

yeah, a sawzall would work. i used a hacksaw cause im a real man ;)
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I used a hacksaw... wasn't very fun... get a sawzall...
          \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

SAWZALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
            I speak the truth, I say what other don\'t say.<br />I am a ***.

Comment

yea, I used a sawzall too, otherwise you are stuck with the over axle part. That is also the part you might have a prob with when putting in the new one. I had to bend the brkt on pipe to fit over the axle and then bend it back after it went thru. Make sure the trailing end of the I pipe(right b4 it goes over the axle) is not right next to the floor board. Try to give it at least an inch of gap. Otherwise it will be tapping on the floor board when you drive.
              1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Originally posted by BobsSilverSix:
                SAWZALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
                word
                \"Well, we don\'t care how bad-*** some dude\'s N/A Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900+ pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you\'re gonna get a fast and furious old-school ***-whipping.\"

Comment

i got one for $30 and it works like a champ. god bless harbor freight!
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

I installed yesterday, I cut the old exhaust off with a hacksaw. Everything went pretty smoothly. I guess it is 2.5 inch afterall even though the box said 3".

I couldn't bring myself to spend 100 bucks on a sawzall so could make 1 cut and then not use it anymore.

Comment

I used a dremel...with cutoff wheels...took forever...but I didn't have (read couldn't find in garage) my hacksaw.
                      <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X