98 Air Silencer Removal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Air Silencer Removal!

Well ive got a 98 firebird with angled throttle body and my friend has a 98 camaro. We were bored and trying to think of a cheap way to make are cars a lil faster or at least sound a little bit better. So we started looking up old posts. No one really said what to do with an angled throttle body. Someone mentioned ducting but we didnt know where to get that. So we got a 45 bend on a 3 inch pvc pipe. We took apart the airbox and stuff and unhooked all the ducting and all that. First i just wanted to see how my car would sound with none of the filters and ducting so we gave it a few revs. We dont really know how "wise" this was but let me tell u that car loved it. It sounded soooo nice. Anyway the stupid 45 degree bend didnt fit(it hit the airbox) so tomorrow were gonna look into getting a 90 degree bend piece. I hope it makes it. Also were not 100 percent sure on how to hook it on since only one of the stupid ducting pieces is 3 inches. The other is like 8 or so. Any suggestions ideas would be great. We'll let you know how it works out.
    Red 98 A4 Firebird<br />..its pretty..<br />- - - - - - - - - <br />6 Infinity 3-way speakers with Alpine deck and 720 watt Kenwood amp..

Now im wondering if i could get like a 4 inch hose of some sort? And i doubt im gonna be able to get the 90 degree bend to work. :|

[ August 06, 2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Cam ]
    Red 98 A4 Firebird<br />..its pretty..<br />- - - - - - - - - <br />6 Infinity 3-way speakers with Alpine deck and 720 watt Kenwood amp..

Comment

I've seen some people use dryer hose ducting too on occasion, it looks cheesy, but it's cheap. How do you plan on connecting the pvc pipe to the air lid since it's an oval opening there? That's what has always stopped me in the past. I believe another member found some actual racing ducting before too and had good luck with that.
      AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

were gonna use the ducting to go from the pvc to the air lid....like we saw in some picture with a straight throttle body...both of our cars have angled ones so we have to use angled pipe

would it be a good idea just to use ducting from the air lid to the throttle body?
        Red 1998 Camaro 3.8<br />K&N and Home Depot<br />2 12\" JL W3v2 Subwoofers<br />-more audio stuff to come-

Comment

Where are we goin to get ducting?

Comment

um some place that sells it
            Red 1998 Camaro 3.8<br />K&N and Home Depot<br />2 12\" JL W3v2 Subwoofers<br />-more audio stuff to come-

Comment

lowes. walmart. home depot
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Yah we found some, btw Alien the oval pipe fits fine, not a problem at all to get it on, its the other one thats a b!tch. And max the ducting i think your talking about wont reach that far.

Comment

Get the duct at an auto parts place.
                  they sell 4 inch black ducting that is mutch stronger than dryervent crap.
                  Black 2000 Y87 Camaro with T-tops ,SLP bowtie grill, Suncoast Creations Ram air hood and air box,Hypertech pp3,magnaflow cat back,and hi flow cat. <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/sorn09\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/sorn09</a>

Comment

yeah but that stuff is like 70$ for a foot

Comment

I think it was 70 bux for 10 feet. Im not sure though. I just searched Advanced auto parts, Autozone, and O'reiley auto parts and found nothing. Does anyone have like a part number or know exactly what its called. I was just searching for ducting. Also if we do get any new kind of ducting we are going to have to take the old off. So what about the air sensor in the first part of the ducting. What will happen if we run engine with it unplugged?

[ August 06, 2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Cam ]

Comment

check out Page 3 on my cardomain site for pics....
                        \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

Haha, i sent you an email about that last night scorpion. It does look better than i had imagined. Did you stick the sensor in the actual airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam:
                            Haha, i sent you an email about that last night scorpion. It does look better than i had imagined. Did you stick the sensor in the actual airbox.
                            yeah, you need to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the airbox, and use 2 rubber grommets to hold the IAT sensor in. the car runs fine, and sounds MUCH better than with the air silencer. check your email, i sent a reply...
                            \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

Thanks for all the help Scorpion.

Anyone know like an exact place where i can find car ducting? I will use the other kind but i would much rather have something more reliable and stronger.

Also on a side note.. anyone know why a 98's TB is angled? Also is a K&N really worth paying 60 bux for?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X