anyone welded their 3.8 headers to the y-pipe? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone welded their 3.8 headers to the y-pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone welded their 3.8 headers to the y-pipe?

i know rksport guys have done it but do the pacesetter guys do it. im woundering if i weld the y-pipe to the headers, if i unbolt the headers, will the whole setup slip down easily off the engine and will anything get in the way? like the starter or anything on the passanger side? im just trying to find ways to fix leaks.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

i think that is one of the only ways you can get them to stop leaking, other than doing some serious percussive maintenance on the flanges.

Comment

i was thinking of maybe taking a gasket sheet i have and making a circel gasket and soaking it in water that putting it on the ball joint looking thing and tightening it to form around it and when it dries, it will keep the rounded shape. do you guys think it will work?

Comment

How hot can JB weld get?

I ask cause if you could use it to seal the exhaust(temperatures allowing) and if you wanted to remove them in pieces, you can get it apart easier than a weld weld.
        2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

thats a good question. so your saying, if the jb weld could withstand the heat, you could pull everything apart unlike weld like pulling apart something glued?

Comment

Basically. Even if the heat cooked it up real good, I imagine it would still seal the leaks and be a whole lot easier to take off than a weld.

The stuff gets real real hard but I have never had a lot of trouble getting stuff bonded with it apart if I really tried(you need something sharp to pick it a little then just start trying to pull stuff apart).

I bet it would take the heat. I have a pack right here and it says on the back that the city of dallas used it to fix an engine block in a bulldozer.
            2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

cool

Comment

but if its welded, can it be pulled out easily welded together?

Comment

JB weld won't hold up to the heat I tried it on mine. I have the RKsport ones. I just got pissed and welded it together.
                  2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

well that takes care of that but i still need an answer to my original questions

Comment

I'd like an answer too... finishing the header install tomorrow
                      \'98 Camaro V6<br />Appearance... pleasing<br />Performance... just a little extra air.

Comment

i am having the same thing happen to my(pacesetter) headers.I tightend the hell out of the bolts and they still leak,man if i knew the answer i would tell.Good luck on your installation

Comment

wow.. never had this problem..

and I can tel lyou right now jb weld is not a good idea..

get then welded.. you can allways cut them off.. and reweld later.. however i dont see why you would ever need too..

Comment

only issues i see with this idea is getting good welds..

you will need a small bit of pipe to cover the distance lost when you cut off the flanges.. thats not a big deal.. but it wont be too big.. and could be tricky to weld well becuase its tiny..

that and be sure to get the ceramic coating off from around where you will be welding.. that could lead to some sh1tty weak welds..

Comment

yeah, i know i'll need to prep it but what i need for someone to tell me is if i can get the headers and y-pipe off as one peice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X