Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RKSport Headers Question

Hello All.

I have a set sitting here at my desk. I was looking at the flanges. I know the major problem with these headers are warping flanges causing leaks. Its said they are too thin. The flanges look pretty thick to me, they're about a 1/4in thick (both headers and y-pipe). And the gaskets are not paper, they are some kind of plastic/rubber material. They have a rubber smelly stink to them. I was wondering if RKSport changed their headers or is this what everybody who has it got? I don't see how these flanges need to be any bigger.

Any feedback would be grateful.
    Thanks
    2000 Camaro 3.8l A4<p>K&N, Whisper Lid, CAI, Taylor Wires, G80 with 3.42s, Jet Stage 2, RKSport Rear End Exhaust.<p>Got some other stuff waiting to go on sitting in boxes.

Its more related to the fact they are 2-bolt and not 3-bolt, so they leak where there aren't bolts due to heatwarping.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I see, the 3 bolt triangle formation would be better.

Thank You very much
      2000 Camaro 3.8l A4<p>K&N, Whisper Lid, CAI, Taylor Wires, G80 with 3.42s, Jet Stage 2, RKSport Rear End Exhaust.<p>Got some other stuff waiting to go on sitting in boxes.

Comment

Actually the problem is probably user error installing them or tightening them incorrectly on the two bolt pattern after all our y pipe use 2 bolts as do most stock manifolds.

They say the flanges are not thick enough but if you do what you did you see they are very thick and guess what they are the same size as cia flanges except they use 3 bolt flange. It is an install problem i suspect that cause the headers to leak.

Comment

Here's the easiest/best thing to do:
          Take them down to any knowledgeable exhaust shop, and have them cut off the flanges that are on there now, and weld on 3-bolt flanges. It should be a piece of cake for them to do, and it should really cut back on warping/sealing problems, especially since this way you'll be able to use a "correct"/standard 3-bolt HEADER gasket (vs. the ish they send you for the 2-bolts.)
          -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

why couldn't you just drill another hole and make it a three hole flange. JUst drill a hole at the bottom and put a bolt and nut
            To speed or not to speed that is the question.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by iceman:
              why couldn't you just drill another hole and make it a three hole flange. JUst drill a hole at the bottom and put a bolt and nut <hr></blockquote>

For one thing they wouldn't be spaced right.

Comment

hmmm still does not matter normal manifolds use a 2 bolt flange. The problem people have is torquing them down wrong. THe flanges are not too thin.. The excuses keep changing but no one points the finger at the installer.. I wonder why...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
                  ----------------------------------------
                  Best 1/8 = 9.71 @ 72MPH
                  Best 0-60 = 6.78seconds
                  Best 60-0 = 120 feet
                  ----------------------------------------
                  <hr></blockquote>

Cardinal that was done with a G-tech?
                  98\' Silver 3.8 M5<p>~MODS~<br />Whisper Lid<br />K&N Air Filter<br />SLP Cold Air<br />Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs<br />B&B Triflow Quad tipped Exhaust

Comment

my 0-60 and 60-0 are done with a gtech

my 1/8 mile was done in Holt, FL on the emeraldcoastdragway.
                    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by knowledgefreak:
                      hmmm still does not matter normal manifolds use a 2 bolt flange. The problem people have is torquing them down wrong. THe flanges are not too thin.. The excuses keep changing but no one points the finger at the installer.. I wonder why...<hr></blockquote>

how has EVERYONE within the last 3-4 years had problems with them then? someone by now would have to have accidently installed them right if that were the case. and if you've done it you'll see the stock one's 2 bolt is a different design than the rksport. the stock uses a bell flange i believe it's called the rksuck uses a flat type. it's rksports bad design not user installed error, but go buy a set and install them and prove you're the only one that isn't an idiot and knows how to work on cars. you think people like magnus don't know how to install them? cause he's had several leaking problems too. not trying to be too much of an a-hole to you but when EVERYONE has had problems it comes back to the design.
                      i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

knowledgefreak-
                        Erik (Deuce Bigs) is right, the stock 2-bolt is a completely different design than that flat 2-bolt flanges used by RKSport's headers. If you were to have ever actually, oh I don't know, TAKEN THEM OFF, you would see that. RKSport (sorry to say) just didn't bother putting any money into producing a quality product.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X